Chapter 26

Chapter 26

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Peeta's POV

I watch as her pale grey eyes get covered by eyelids as they droop down when fatigue takes over. Her brown hair is in between my fingers as I make a braid while she sleeps on the couch, her head in my lap. When Katniss is deeply asleep, she looks so peaceful and beautiful. But then the nightmares come. They've been better lately though. Not as intense or terrifying. I wish she would, but Katniss never likes to talk about them and if she does, she breaks into sobs.

When I know that Katniss is deep enough into her sleep that she won't be woken, I slip my arm around her neck to support her head and my other under her legs. Gently lifting her, I gather her into my arms and bring her into our bedroom. When I set her down carefully on her side of the bed, I dress myself and then gather clothes for Katniss to sleep in. She can't be comfortable sleeping in jeans.

When I start sliding her pants off, I start reconsidering. What if she doesn't want me to see her naked? Then I remember that we're engaged now and there have been times when we were close to ripping each others clothes off anyway.

I can't help but stare at her beautiful body and the war scars that still mark her skin. Snapping back to reality, I know she must be cold so I slip her sleep pants on before taking her shirt off. I force myself not to keep staring at her incase she woke up and saw me.

As always, I slide the window open a little before climbing into bed shirtless. For some reason I'm always hot when I sleep, even when it's the winter like right now. Rolling over and grunting a little, Katniss faces me with her eyes still closed and whispers a quiet "Good night" before sleep overtakes her once again.

Smiling a little even though she can't see, I tell her "Good night" before kissing her forehead. Holding her tightly against my chest, I smile when I remember the ring on her left ring finger. Soon Katniss will be mine forever and always.

The alter is set and all of our loved ones are seated in front of me. I stand smiling as I await for my beautiful bride to arrive. After awhile, my smile fades when she still hasn't shown. Everyone seems worried as well. Suddenly Effie frantically runs over and I can see by the look on her face that something is wrong. "We can't find Katniss," she says out of breath as my mouth falls open and tears collect in my eyes.

I awake a little startled from my nightmare. My hand flings around for Katniss and when I notice that she is still here against my bare chest, a sigh of relief escapes me. It's okay, she's right here, I tell myself.

Even my own thoughts can calm myself down. There are no more Hunger Games. Everyone is safe. Katniss and I are to be married. We're okay. We will always be okay.