Josh Dun [Fluff]

I'm not dead.

Keep it creepy.
-smile.

***

Requested by: beehart

***

"I'll be back around 8:00," your boyfriend, Josh, says as he leaves a soft kiss on your forehead. You smile and blush even though you've been together for almost three years now.
"Okay, have fun with Tyler. Be careful!" You look up at him, smiling just barely wider.
"Always." He gently touches his lips to yours, though only briefly. He smiles back at you and turns to walk out the front door. "I love you, [Y/N]!"
"I love you, too!" The door closes. After hearing Josh's car start, you hurry up the stairs and dig your cello out from behind the clothes hanging in your closet. You take it to the sofa in the study and open the case, pulling out the beautiful instrument that you were gifted so long ago.
You've had it hidden behind your clothes since you moved in with Josh because you didn't want to seem... nerdy or geeky. You know he'd never think that of you, as he loves you so much. Honestly, you just haven't gotten around to telling him because of his near-constant touring.
You admire your cello for just a little while longer, your eyes taking in the perfectly preserved colour of the wood and the pattern of the grain, and then you set your sheet music folder in front of you. You open it to Bach's Cello Suite No. 1, The Prelude--your personal favourite. With that, you begin to play.
The smooth sound of the bow gliding across the strings floods the room and, for that moment, all of your worries cease, as if they've stopped to listen as well.
As the last note plays out, you sigh with content. Just as you turn the page to another song, your phone rings on the sofa next to you. Looking at the caller ID, you answer.
"Hey, Mum, what's up?" You say as you put the phone to your ear, laying your bow down next to you.
"Hi, [Y/N]! I just wanted to call and catch up a bit, if you're not busy." Her smooth, alto voice coming through the phone provides the same relief and comfort as the sound of your cello.
"Of course! How are you and dad?" You ask, plunging into a deep conversation with your mum.
Eventually, after over an hour and a half, your mum ends the call to go make dinner. You look at the piece your music folder is opened to--Prokofiev's Sinfonia Concertante--and decide that that one would be fun to play.
Picking up your bow, you begin to play, eventually closing your eyes as you have the entirety of the piece memorized. The sound floods the whole second floor of your home, cascading through the first floor as well.
Unbeknownst to you, the front door opens, allowing Josh to enter. He closes the door quietly, going up the carpeted stairs without a sound and avoiding the third step from the top--it creaks. He stands just outside your line of sight, somewhat hiding behind the wall next to the doorway of the study. As he hears the last note fade out, he jumps out from his "hiding space" and begins to clap. You stand up quickly, screaming as you open your eyes to see your flame-haired boyfriend standing in front of you while still not ceasing to clap.
"Joshua William Dun, you scared me half to death!" You didn't realize you'd sound like such a mother until you actually said it, trying to return to your normal breathing pattern. You lower your hand holding your bow, unaware that you'd been holding it up, positioned to be used as a weapon--because that would totally defend you if your life were actually to be threatened. "I thought you weren't coming home until about eigh--" you look at the clock that reads 8:16. "Oooohhh."
Josh laughs, approaching you and kissing your forehead. "Why didn't I know that you can play the cello?"
You look up at him, blushing slightly and smiling sheepishly. You look back down, preparing your cello to go back into the case. "I didn't want you to think I was..." You trail off. "I dunno."
"I'm amazed. You never cease to amaze me, [Y/N]." He smiles as he waits for you to close the case and stand up, pulling you into a warm, loving hug. "How long have you been playing the cello?"
"I started when I was six or seven. My teacher was determined to turn me into some sort of prodigy. I felt forced, so I stopped. Then I started again under a new teacher when I was eleven and I've been infatuated since." You look up, smiling at his expression of love and amazement. "You don't think I'm, like, nerdy or anything?"
He laughs--that warm, full laugh that can never be replicated. "Not even a little bit. If anything, it just makes me love you even more, which I thought was impossible."
You both sit on the sofa, you leaning into his side. He starts asking endless questions about classical cello pieces and cellos in general, which you don't mind in the slightest. The childlike wonder never leaves his eyes as you tell him about tuning, the different parts of the cello, and anything else the two of you can think of. The conversation between the two of you could have lasted anywhere from ten minutes to an eternity--you weren't sure. But you didn't mind and neither did he.
But eventually you both went downstairs and ordered some pizza, deciding to watch The Shining on Netflix. The two of you fell asleep less than halfway through the movie, cuddled into each other with an empty pizza box sitting on the sofa next to you.
So, yeah. You're pretty damn lucky.