Chapter Five

"You know you can stay as long as you like," Elle said, following Draco out of her flat onto the landing.

"I appreciate you letting me stay-" Draco said.

"I know my brother was a wanker to you the other day, but you shouldn't mind him," Elle said.

"It's fine, Elle," Draco assured her. "It's only temporary, and if things don't work out, I might need to move back in anyway, so enjoy your freedom while you have it."

Elle sighed, "I'm going to have to make my own tea, then?"

Draco laughed. "I can always stop by every morning and brew you a cup."

"Shut up," Elle said lightly, smacking his arm.

"I'll come back and visit whenever I can," Draco said.

Elle smiled faintly, "We can survive without you, you know."

"Of course. You lot are the strongest people I know," Draco said, "The thing is, I consider you friends and would like to see you."

Elle laughed and hugged him. "Are you going to tell everyone?"

"If they're around, but I'm sure you'll pass on the gossip to everyone else," Draco said.

"I'm not a gossip," Elle said.

"You're the worst gossip I've ever met, Elle. Don't ever change," Draco said.

Elle rolled her eyes and leaned over the railing to wave him off.

Draco had come by earlier while Elle was still asleep to shrink down his mattress and stuff it into his pocket. He had pretended to come back for the rest of his things which amounted to the clothes he had stolen from Potter and his old winter cloak. He hadn't been able to bring himself to throw away what was left of his alcohol, so he had left it in the back of a cupboard Elle wasn't using.

He walked around the back of the building and took out his wand, looking around half-heartedly to make sure no one was around before he apparated to Potter's apartment.

It looked exactly like Draco remembered from the last time he was here. Potter had changed the wards to let Draco in, but he didn't think Potter would be here. He had a job, theoretically.

Potter had offered him the couch, which was very comfortable, but Draco wanted at least a small piece of something that was just his own. There was a tiny hallway separating the kitchen from the bathroom. The bathroom door opened inward so he wouldn't be in the way. Draco took his mattress out of his pocket and resized it in the back corner, adding a new cushioning charm to make up for the shitiness of the mattress.

He leaned his head against the wall, squeezing his eyes shut for a second to try and ease the throbbing pain behind his eyes, but it was no use. Draco decided he had done enough for what felt like a year and kicked off his shoes before crawling onto the mattress, covered only by a fitted sheet worn thin from repeated cleaning spells. Draco wasn't sure where his pillow had got to. He must have left it at Elle's.

Draco laid down, already regretting his decision to do this and be here. He wanted to be back in Elle's flat with his half a bottle of whiskey and almost empty bottle of rum. He kept putting off finishing the rum, but he would gladly do so now. But that would require moving, and he would rather die. So he curled up in a ball and closed his eyes as a wave of nausea rolled over him.

"Malfoy? Are you awake?" A voice called from somewhere.