three

"Hey, this is Embry, looks like I've missed your call but if you leave a message, I'll catch you later." The depressing beep was heard after Embry's voice.

"Ugh!" Evelina groaned as she threw her phone across the room. It landed on the couch with a small thud.

"No answer?" Jake asked, not even looking up from the rabbit.

"Why are you always fixing your car?" Evelina asked as she walked over to where he was leaning over the bonnet. She decided to ignore his question, he already knew the answer.

"Cause it's a piece of crap," Quil answered for him. Jake finally looked up to glare at Quil. Sighing Evelina walked around in a circle.

"Stop stressing, he's fine," Jake said standing and closing the bonnet of his car.

"I just, I don't know, what if he's hurt or sick, what if he needs us?" She got one look from Jake and she knew exactly what answer she was going to get so she stopped.

"I'm hungry, I'll go get us some lunch. Burgers?"

X

Evelina had seen lots of boys cliff-jumping before, from further down of course, but seeing Sam Uley and his cult jumping from them wasn't a shock to her. She stared at the boys who were pushing each other near the edge and saw that there were four boys, not the usual three. Looking closer, she abruptly stopped the car when she recognized Embry in the group. She jumped out of the car, slammed her car door shut and ran over to where they were. She met the group halfway up the hill.

Evelina opened her mouth to tell him off but nothing came out, "Embry?" She finally said.

He sighed and looked towards Sam. The man in question just nodded his way and turned on his heel. He walked up the hill with Paul and Jared following him, the last boy holding eye-contact for a little longer. As the both of them were left alone she wrapped her arms around his neck at him and squeezed him in a hug. He sighed and returned the hug, reluctantly, however.

"Em, we've been so worried," Evelina said looking him over. He had cut his hair, grown massive and gotten a tattoo on his upper bicep.

"Well don't, I'm fine." He turned away from her, avoiding eye contact as he did this. The small girl stared at the back of his head until she sighed.

"Em, what happened? Are you okay?"

"Eve, I said I'm fine!" He raised his voice slightly. She heard a growl and looked passed Embry to see Jared glaring at the Quileute boy.

"Well I'm sorry I even bothered to care about you, It's not like we haven't been friends since we were babies." Evelina huffed out as she turned to storm away from the cliffs.

"Eve, wait!" She stopped but stayed turned away from him, "Can you please not tell Quil and Jake you saw me?" She felt as though she could have jumped off the cliff in anger.

"Of course Embry, I won't tell our best friends that I saw you and that you're okay, even though you're on steroids or doing drugs or something. I'll just forget I even saw you, I'll forget I saw Sam and his cult, I'll just forget everything." She turned and whipped her hair around with her. Storming off she felt tears forming in her eyes out of anger.

Getting in her small car, she sped off to the burger shop. She gave them all one last look out of the rear-view mirror and saw them all staring at her as she got further away.

X

Over the next week, Jake had blown her off for Bella multiple times and she was sick of it. Quil had quickly become her only friend and visa-verse. Evelina shimmied on her black jeans and ran to grab her bag, shoes and wallet before running out the door and into Quil's car. To be more specific, Quil's Mum's car.

"Hey Eve." Quil greeted as he backed out of her driveway and headed to Forks. She nodded his way and shoved a shoe onto her foot.

"Have you heard from Em yet?" He asked her again, Embry had been a popular topic between the two. Of course, Evelina had kept her promise to Embry and hadn't told her two best friends that she had seen Embry, alive and well.

"No, but I'm sure he's fine Quil." Evelina lied as she slipped on her other shoe and looked out the window. They were driving past the cliffs again, but Sam and the boys weren't there today.

By the time they got to the cinema, they were late and had a little bit of time to get popcorn and drinks before they had to run so they didn't miss anything. Quil had booked seats on the back row so as they ran up Evelina looked to the side and made eye contact with Bella. Evelina stared blankly at the girl but Bella smiled up at her. She saw Bella was with Jake and some other blonde guy. Jake looked up at the two and just as he caught Evelina's eye, she looked away and stormed off.

"Of course, of course." she said as she sat down next to Quil, "He blew us off for her again, I'm so done." Quil decided not to say anything just in case he made her anger worse. Evelina kept a close eye on the small group and watched as they all left halfway through the movie. Telling Quil she needed to go to the bathroom, Evelina snuck out and made her way over to the small group sitting on the stairs.

"You're really hot." Evelina rolled her eyes, of course, Bella would say that,"You feel like you have a fever, are you okay?"

"I don't know what's happening. I gotta go." Jake replied and turned to walk away but he ran into Evelina.

"Jake -" He didn't let her finish.

"I've got to go Eve." He said looking past her.

"Okay, leave me again. Thanks, by the way, you ditched us for Bella, again! I thought friendship was about being honest and bros before hoes!" Jake started shaking.

"I can't do this right now Eve, please." He pushed past her.

"Fine! Leave like Embry, say goodbye to our friendship because I don't want to be treated like shit anymore!" He ran faster at her words. Turning around she saw Bella and the other boy still staring at her. Scoffing, Evelina tried to walk past Bella but the dark haired girl caught her arm.

"Why did you say that to him?" She said looking directly into Evelina's eyes.

"I said it because I care about him and I know that you're just using him as your rebound. He doesn't deserve it and I don't deserve it either." Evelina shook Bella off and stormed back into the movie.