five

Evelina groaned and pulled the covers over her head. Whoever was at her front door wasn't giving up. Another knock was heard and she launched out of bed. Pulling on a pair of tights and grabbing her phone, Evelina ran downstairs.

"Shit." She mumbled as she saw her reflection in the mirror. Her hair was a mess and she had mascara underneath her eyes from a night of crying. As she opened the door, her eyes landed on Jared?

"Hi?" She said as more of a question. He smiled and gave her a once over.

"Hey, sorry for coming on short notice, I just wanted to make sure you're okay, you know... after yesterday." He said smiling solemnly at her.

"Oh, uh yeah." She looked down and kicked the mat under her feet, "Do you want to come in, I'm craving bacon right now." He smiled brightly at her and she stepped aside to let him past. 

Following her into the kitchen, Jared stopped at the doorway and watched as Evelina went straight to the fridge. She got out everything she needed and stopped when she realized Jared wasn't in the kitchen yet. Turning around, they made eye-contact and Evelina tilted her head like a confused puppy.

"Did you want some or I can wait if you want. Why haven't you come in yet?" She stopped midway through a ramble and stared at him. Jared snapped out of his daze and smiled brighter if that was even possible.

"Oh sorry, yeah if that's okay can I have some?" He stepped into the room and walked towards the kitchen bench. She smiled at him and turned back around to cook.

"So, are you okay after yesterday?" He asked again.

"Ummm, I had a bit of a cry last night but I should be okay." She turned to see him sitting on a kitchen stool now, "Did you want eggs too?" 

"Oh yeah if that's okay." She nodded a reply, "Well I understand your reaction, he was really harsh and you two have such a long history." 

Evelina sighed and turned around whilst waving the spatula as she talked, "I just got so mad you know, like after everything we've been through, I was there for him with his Mom and he was there for me with my Dad. It just sucks you know?" He nodded.

"So what were you doing today?" He broke a short silence between the two. She turned and handed him a plate.

"Nothing much, I was going to lounge around the house and feel bad for myself if I'm being honest." She smiled solemnly and sat next to him to eat.

"Did you want to come to dinner with my friends tonight?"

"Are you allowed a plus one? I mean, I don't want you to feel like you have to invite me."

"Of course, I want you to come 100 percent! I mean you don't have to if you don't want to." She smiled at his self-doubt, he was so cute.

"It sounds like fun, what time?" 

"How does 6 sound? I'll pick you up." She nodded and turned back to her breakfast almost shaking with excitement.

X

Looking at her reflection, it had changed drastically since earlier on in the day. She had refreshed her makeup and put on a more respectable outfit. Simple black jeans clung to her legs and a plain white shirt with a denim jacket over the top to finish the look. She pulled on a pair of black boots and checked her phone for the time.

5:57pm. Evelina smiled and walked downstairs to get some water. Once she had left the last step, the doorbell rang. Pausing in front of the door before she opened it, Evelina smiled widely in excitement then changed her facial expression to something more casual. She opened the door to see Jared on the porch, he had on light wash jeans and a simple short-sleeve button-up shirt. He looked nervous, to say the least.