v.

v. I spend a long time in the east shower, and Shiro is banging on the door, asking if I drowned because he would rather I don't in the event that there's no hot water left.

Since I brought my clothes with me this time to avoid possibly running into Keith in the bunkers, I turn the water off and take care to dry my hair before redressing myself. I swing the door ajar, glowering due to the negative feelings I'm having toward Shiro right now.

"Whoa," he gawks as I trudge out of the bathroom. "Is everything all right?"

His voice gets progressively quieter as I walk away from it, not even attempting to answer. I head to the lounge and bury myself in the pillows of the in-ground sofa, my face toward the cushions so I don't have to see anyone walk past. I end up dozing off in fetal position, my arms wrapped around myself and my jacket trapping me in a cozy warmth. Sleep is inevitable.

...

My eyes open approximately one hour after I shut them, and I'm still in the same position, which is reassuring because I'm usually restless. As my eyes focus on the fibers of the sofa, I swipe my hands across my face. Thankfully, there is no moisture beneath my eyes like I expected. I sit up and jump eight feet in the air when I see Keith perched on the opposite end of the sectional, his eyes fixated on me.

"Did you... sleep well?" he asks. At least I know he's making an effort.

"Fine," I answer. "What are you doing here? That's creepy, man."

"I was looking for Shiro," he admits. I roll my eyes, but he makes it better. "But I found something better to pursue."

"Right," I nod, pressing my back snugly against the cushion and hugging my knees close to my chest. "Get it over with. I'm still mad at you."

He does just what I ask of him without hesitation. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have shut you out like I did earlier; I am fully aware that you were just looking out for me, and frankly, I appreciate it so much. More than I thought I did when it actually happened. Something in me thought that if I pushed you away more, you'd be persistent and stay by me, but now I realize you have a sensitive side, like literally everyone I've ever spoken to, and I pushed you too close to yours. As for the whole bonding with Shiro thing, I will honestly tell you this: I'm having this recurring nightmare involving my parents, and I was seeing some resemblance between Shiro and my father. It doesn't even wake me up, though. He doesn't know about the nightmare, or about us, so there's no need to think I've been confiding in him instead of you. It's okay, Lance, I promise. Again, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," I whisper, not because I want to be soft and trusting but because my voice gave way as soon as I saw Keith's face. I sense the genuinity in his words and truly do accept the apology, but I'm still dismayed by what he said to me earlier. Though I guess it's just a me thing—he flipped a switch that rusted over and just can't be moved any more.

"Is it really?" Keith asks, his winsome eyes doubtful.

I nod and repeat my words, "It's okay." Keith and I rise to our feet in unison, and I take an extra step forward to hug him. His arms naturally go around my waist and his chin falls on my left shoulder, but I toss my arms around his neck.

"This feels so wonderful," Keith whispers. I nod my head before pulling my face back so that it's adjacent with his; then, I start walking forward, which moves Keith back toward the couch, and kiss his lips softly. He forces himself away from me though. "Lance, I know you're not okay with this."

"I don't care how upset I am. I just have to kiss you again," I slur defiantly against his open mouth.

For just a short time, he tries to push me back, but then he gives up. I guess he needed this, too.