The Open Study

Albus Potter sat on the sitting room floor staring at the game board in front of him raptly.

He was playing wizards chess with his cousin, Louis Weasley, who had accompanied his older sister Victoire over to the Potters' to visit their cousins, aunt, and uncle.

He was also losing horribly for he absolutely stunk at wizards chess (it didn't matter how many times Uncle Ron tried to teach him-he was awful) and it didn't help that Rose Weasley, Al's favorite cousin and best friend, and James Potter, Louis best friend and Al's older brother, were sitting there watching the doomed game trying not to smile.

Al looked around the room and saw sitting in two armchairs in the corner Victoire and his dad's godson, Teddy Lupin, who were now home for the Christmas holidays and were talking (well more like complaining) about Victoire's O.W.L.'s and Teddy's N.E.W.T.'s.

On the couch Lily, Al's little sister, and Hugo, Rose's younger brother, were pouring over a book on dragons (complete with large, graphic, moving pictures) that their Uncle Charlie had given Victoire and Louis's sister for her birthday a few days ago and which she had given to them so Lily and Hugo look at it.

"Hey Al are you gonna make the move or just sit there staring around blankly like a flobberworm?" James teased him playfully.

Retalliating Al stuck his tongue out at him and said "I'm pretty sure flobberworms are blind, James." Making James blush almost as red as his hair and Rose and Louis laugh at his expense.

Then before James could reply Al turned back to the game and made a deliberately suicidal move leaving his king wide open for the taking.

Grinning Louis finished off the game and then said kindly to his younger cousin, "Good game Al, at least it wasn't as bad as last time."

Just then Ginny Potter's voice floated up to them "Kids! Dinner time and don't forget to wash up!" Then as though she could see James rolling his eyes she added, "Yes, even you James Sirius Potter!" James flinched and called out weakly "Of course Mum whatever you say!"

Then as they descended down the step of Grimmauld Place they could here Ginny saying in a softer tone "Really Harry I think it might have been a curse to name him after two of the maurauders, and not even after Remus no-it had to be your father and godfather's names." She didn't really care though everyone could hear the note of affection in her voice while saying this. The other adults in the room (Harry, Ron, and Hermione) chuckled at that and Ron said jokingly "Well at least it has a nice ring to it. I mean James Sirius Potter sounds quite fun to yell."

"Oh yes I have tons of fun every day." Ginny replied sarcasticly as her husband, brother, and sister-in-law laughed.

All of the kids filed into the bathroom smiling at the exchange and quickly washed their hands Teddy picking up Lily so she could reach the high-up faucet. After they trooped back out and started down the hallway again just to have James randomly stop in front of his father's study door, causing everyone else to run into him since he was in front.

"It's open!" he gasped his brown eyes wide behind his glasses. Harry never left his study door open or let his kids go in there for he sometimes brought dangerous things home from the ministry. James spun around and looked at everyone excitedly. "Lets go in! Just for a second, please, please, please!" he begged then without waiting for an answer he darted in through the half closed door, Louis at his heels.

"James, Louis no!" everyone else whisper-shouted not wanting the adults to hear them and then they all quickly followed the two boys into the study not knowing what was going to happen to them.

The study was dark with no lights on. There were posters and maps on the walls, notes spread out on the desk along with pictures of all the Potters and Weasleys and Scamanders and Longbottoms. Weird little intruments were lain out on a table.

"It's dark in here." Louis exclaimed and walked over to the desk and turned on the large lamp standing there. The small flickering flame danced about cheerfully first casting its warm glow over a strange little hour glass necklace which, before anyone else noticed it he scooped up and started examening it.

James just stood there and stared around in awe along with most of the other, but a box off to the side caught Al's eye and he walked over and crouched down, picking it up. It was a dark navy blue box labled Family Photos. Al opened the lid and peered inside.

There were many different photos of the whole Potter-Weasley family ranging from his parent school years to Dominique's birthday party just days ago. Smiling he put the lid back on and walked over to Rose and handed her the box. Just then though Victoire asked sharply, "Louis what do you have?"

They all looked at him as he started guiltily. Louis glanced at all of their faces and then held up the necklace "Nice isn't it." he grinned. But then Rose cried "Louis put it down!" This startled him, "Why? It's just a necklace right?"

"No its not! It's a time-turner!" This outburst had come from Teddy and made everyone start gaping at the necklace until James bounced forward exclaiming "I wanna see it, toss it here!"

It seemed to happen in slow motion. Louis drew his arm back and brought it forward again tossing it over to James while all the other kids had cried, "NO!" But it was to late, Louis had overshot his throw just a bit but that was enough it went sailing past James's hand and slammed into the shelf behind him, he lunged at it and before it touched the ground caught it safely in his hand.

James got to his feet trembling but smiling, "Got it!" Then the ground lurched underneath their feet and they all stumbled. The whole world started to spin rapidly and it didn't stop. Al was just able to think Oh god what's happening to us? and join in with the cry of "James, Louis, you idiots!" before, with a flash of blinding white light, they disappeared.