Chapter 10: Drown In Our Love

Today is my last day, graduation just ended and everyone has gathered with their families, all wearing their caps and gowns. I'm worried about Sebastian though, he didn't show up today and there's a growing pit in my stomach, something tells me he's done something stupid. There's a nagging in my head but it's not my paranoia, the voices are telling me to return to Limbo.

After I help the soul pass over I walk to the Book of the Dead, hoping to god that I don't see Sebastian's name... "oh god... no" there it is, staring at me at the top of the list. Sebastian. But this says that he'll die in the next few minutes! I can't let this happen! I have to stop it! I'll be punished for this, and for once I don't care, this is the love of my life and I can't let him die. I refuse to.

I close my eyes and think of him, of every memory that I have. Come on I can do this! I think about my burning desire to be with him and suddenly my nostrils are filled with the smell of chlorine, I open my eyes slowly and see the school swimming pool, Sebastian is standing at the edge of the pool, holding a weight in his arms that's chained to his waist. What the hell is he playing at?! "Sebastian don't you dare jump in that pool!" I shout.

His head snaps around to look at me, almost as if he's surprised to see my face "I have to be with you" he mutters out, like he's not fully convinced himself yet, I wonder how long he's been standing at the edge of this pool, looking down at the water.

"Don't be stupid! Don't give your life away for me! I'm a Reaper, Sebastian, even if you die you'll pass on and I'll be stuck in Limbo" his head turns slowly back to the water, he can't seriously be thinking about it! Slowly I reach out for his arm, his hands are wrapped around the weight and I don't really want him to drop it into the pool. Once I've got a good grip on him I start to try and tug him backwards "please, Seb, don't do this"

A sound comes from the changing rooms and I turn to see if anyone's coming, I could use some help. My grip on Sebastian loosens and I realise that I'm not holding his arm anymore, the sound of the splash echoes through the large room as my panicked eyes move quickly towards the water. Without further thought my body hurls itself into the water, unable to see anything amongst the tiny bubbles.

When they disappear I can see him, the weight has fallen to the bottom of the pool and he's just floating there, his eyes shut as he waits to die. I swim quickly back to the surface and take in a deep breath, I may not need to breathe but I can still hold air, so I hold it in and swim back down, moving as fast as I can. When we're face to face I press my lips to his and breathe life back into him, his eyes slowly open to look at me as his hand comes up and tries to push me away.

I won't let him die, he might think this is what he wants but he doesn't. I move down to his waist to try and get the chain from around his waist, but it's too tight, I can't free him. I swim up to get more air but when I feel the ground suddenly under my feet, my mind goes haywire, the water is gone and so is Sebastian, my eyes look frantically around me only to see my father, just like when I tried to kill that boy, his eyes burn into mine "what have you done...?" I whisper "what have you done?! Send me back! I have to save him!" I run to him and start to hit his chest "send me back! Please father! Send me back!"

His cold hands wrap around my wrists to stop me from hitting him, the anger only swells inside of me as tears sting my eyes "he is in the book, Raven. This is his time"

"NO! No it is not his time! He's doing this to be with me! Don't you understand?! Please I have to go back and save him!" I can see that my pleads are lost on him, my voice becomes almost inaudible as realisation hits "he'll die alone" my eyes look up at my father, towering above me, I can hardly make out his features through my tears "how could you pull me away?"

A solemn look takes over his face as he starts to stroke my hair "you should not have to watch that my child. This is his time. He was always meant to die today, even though you thought you saved him all those years ago"