The Promotion Ceremony

Rosalie's POV

I jolted awake from my dream. I immediately went to my dresser drawer and opened the secret compartment. I took out the medallion and stroked off the dust. I sat there, remembering the events of my dream and my memories. I put the medallion on and looked at it in the mirror.

Suddenly there was a knock at my door. "Rosalie, are you decent?" I heard my father's voice come through the door. "Ye-yes!" I shouted back, scrambling back into bed and frantically putting my robe back on. My father entered and said, "Still in bed at this hour?" I simply smiled as the maids walked to the window. They opened the curtains and I flinched at the sudden light at first, but then noticed the beauty outside.

"I have a gift for you." My father said as one if the maids handed me a box. I opened it to reveal a lovely light green dress. "Oh father it's absolutely gorgeous!" I said. "Yes well the dress maker said that it would bring out your beautiful eyes." He replied back.

I headed back to the changing area and the maids followed. "What's the occasion?" I asked. "Does a father need an occasion to dote upon his daughter?" My father said. Finally he sighed and said "Actually I had hoped that you would were it to the ceremony this afternoon." "Ceremony?" I asked. "Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony." He said. I peeked my head out from behind the screen and said "I knew it."

Then the maids started lacing me up in a corset. I never liked corsets, I get terribly light headed every time I wore one. They tightened the strings suddenly and I let out a gasp.

"Everything alright?" The Governor asked. "It's getting a bit hard to breathe..." I said. "Really? I heard they are the latest fashion in London." "Have women in London learned not to breathe?" I gasped. Father simply chuckled at my remark.

After I was ready I headed downstairs to the carriage. I saw Will showing my father a new sword that I presume is for Norrington near the door. As I got to the bottom of the steps I greeted him politely but not saying much. I didn't want to act childish in front of Father.

Soon after me came Elizabeth in a dress similar to mine, but a pale yellow. I could instantly see the love in Will's face as she descended the staircase. Oh those two. It was obvious how they felt about each other, it's really just Father keeping them apart.

Father pulled me aside to discuss the ceremony with me. "Now, I want you to be very respectful and kind to Mr. Norrington today. It's a big day for him." "Of course Father, why wouldn't I be?" I said. However he didn't answer because he was too busy trying to pry Lizzie's attention away from Will. I could tell that she was slightly irritated with something that he must have said, and as she walked away, I gave him a hopeful look to reassure him. We got into the carriage and made our way to the fort.

This ceremony was taking forever. I could feel myself getting hotter and more light headed by the minute. I hopelessly tried to adjust my corset to make it easier to breathe, but it was stuck tight.

James entered the fort and started walking down the isle of people. As he passed by me and Lizzie he shot me a smug glance. Dear god he never gives up does he. James had had his eye one me even before the crossing from England. I had constantly tried to get my point accords that I wasn't interested, but he was persistent. Father was no help either, he thought that James was an excellent choice for a husband.

Once the ceremony ended, the party started up higher in the fort. James came to me and asked if I would speak with him. Of course I said yes, and I needed the fresh air. I still couldn't breathe thanks to the corset. James led me to an outlook and we both stood near the edge. I suddenly couldn't breathe at all. I heard James say something but I couldn't understand. "I-I can't breathe." I stammered. "Yes I am feeling quite nervous myself," he said. I felt myself slip into darkness and tumble over the edge of the fort.