Vilkas | Beauty And The Beast

I crouched down low so that the foliage around me masked my presence. I gripped my hunting bow in my hand and slowed my breathing, my eyes darting about my surroundings, searching for prey.
I found a really nice camping spot by a beautiful lake and had been relaxing there for so long I'd forgotten to eat. By this point my stomach was growling so loudly I thought it might scare off any nearby deer.

I was going to give up and move to another area when, suddenly, I spotted a lone deer wandering around the woods. My eyes practically lit up. I drew my bow, skillfully, silently. I let out a quiet breath and was about to release the arrow when a wild beast like nothing I'd ever seen before pounced from the shadows and ripped the deer apart in a frenzy of blood and flesh. I'd never seen such a savage animal attack in my entire life, not even from trolls.

The animal was huge, black fur and colossal claws that might have been as big as my forearm. It had terrifying black eyes and it's teeth were like specially crafted, deadly blades made for killing. Although I'd never seen one before, I'd read stories about these animals as a child and I knew exactly what it was.

I was looking at a werewolf.

I trembled as I watched the werewolf devour my dinner. I hoped it wouldn't smell me otherwise I would be next.

I was about to make a run for it when a huge cave bear stalked out of the bushes. It spotted the werewolf and stood on it's hind legs. When the bear stood up it was taller than the werewolf, and almost just as scary. The two animals collided with each other and fought in a deadly frenzy of gnashing teeth and savage claws.

Eventually the cave bear fell onto the grassy earth, dead. But the werewolf was wounded. A huge gaping wound on its leg was preventing it from moving and the beast fell to the ground in agony.

All of my instincts were telling me to run, to hide, to do something.

But my heart was telling me to help the animal, even though it would probably tear me apart if given the chance, it was a majestic creature, and it was dying.

I cursed under my breath and ran over to the werewolf. It snarled as I approached and I slowed down, holding up my hands to show the beast I meant no harm. Somehow, when I looked into the wolf's eyes I saw something other than a beast, something with emotion, something human.

When the werewolf saw I didn't mean to hurt it, it stopped snarling and whimpered instead, an indication of the pain that the huge wound was causing. I sat down next to the werewolf and opened my rucksack, pulling out a bottle of mead and some bandages. I was just about to start tending to the wound when something unbelievable happened.

The wolf started to groan and I shuffled back slightly as it's body moved and it's muscles contracted. It looked as if it was...shrinking.

It's jet black fur started to fade away to reveal skin underneath, and it's humongous body shrunk until all that remained of the terrifying wolf was a man, lying on the floor, completely naked.

"By the nine..." I breathed.

I'd heard stories about men that could turn into savage beasts as a child, but I had no idea that they were true stories.

The man on the floor just groaned and I saw that the wound on his leg still remained. I grabbed the bottle of mead and poured it over his wound.

He cursed loudly as the alcohol seeped into his cut.

When the bottle of mead was empty I unrolled the bandage from my bag and wrapped it around his leg carefully. I felt uncomfortable as he was stark naked, but I knew he was probably going to die if I didn't bandage his wound so I carried on.

"Thank you" the mysterious wolf-man grunted, obviously still in pain. His voice was hoarse and gruff and kind of...sexy.

"It's fine. Here" I threw him a baggy tunic from inside my bag that I'd looted from a male bandit about the same size as the stranger.

He threw on the tunic and I felt a bit less embarrassed.

I looked at the man.

"How did you..."

He shot me a weak smile. "You didn't know men could turn into beasts?"

"Well no...I..."

"You're not from Skyrim are you?"

I smiled. "Is it that obvious?"

"It is indeed. My name is Vilkas, it seems I owe you a debt"

"Oh, think nothing of it" I shook my head "I just did what was right"

"Nonsense, I insist you let me buy you a drink once I can get back on my feet. You did just save my life after all"

I looked at Vilkas. He was very muscular, so muscular in fact that the tunic was tight around him. He had dark brown hair that was long and it fell over his face, just past his strong jawline. He had rigid scars across his skin, making it obvious to me that he was seasoned in battle. And although his exterior was quite intimidating, much like his wolf-form, when he smiled I felt something warm inside of me.

I grinned at Vilkas. "Sure, why not"

He returned my smile. "Good. I know a great place called the Bannered Mare in Whiterun. Have you ever been to Whiterun?"

"Nope"

"I'm sure you'll love it"