Chapter 8

A/N: I'm updating tonight and then probably again on Thursday because I'm on holiday next week and won't be able update. Sorry about that, anyway; I hope you enjoy J

When Phil returned, he was much more cheerful than Dan had expected. After their rather awkward flirt earlier Dan had busied himself with attempting to give the dogs a bath which is not easy considering one was so large that Dan had serious trouble keeping him still and the other seemed incapable of keeping still, not to mention Phil didn't even own a bathtub. If they wanted a wash they simply had to pour a bucket of water over themselves and hoped it suffice. Dan had filled a bucket and was attempting to get Oscar to stand in it but all he had accomplished was spilling water all over the floor. Oscar and Archie were so hyperactive. Phil should walk them more often, then again, his mind had probably been elsewhere lately. Talking of walking the dogs. . .

"Phiiiiil." Dan wined as Phil opened the door.

"Daaaaan." Phil responded with a smirk. Dan felt a smile begin to crawl its way onto his face but it was halted suddenly. His mood immediately darkened when he remembered having the exact same conversation with Louise not two weeks ago. He looked down at the floor guiltily. He really should have taken her advice. It would have saved him so much trouble in the long run.

"Dan, did you want something? What's wrong?" Phil asked, concern lacing his voice.

"Oh, it's nothing," Dan said quietly shaking his head to rid all thoughts of home. "Actually, though I was thinking that it may be a good idea to take the dogs for a walk. I think they're getting a little hyperactive." He added with a laugh. On que Oscar raced over to them and jumped up into Phil's arms. Phil seemed to consider the idea.

"Well I know they need a walk but are you sure that you should come, I don't really want anyone seeing you. It could be dangerous." Dan let out a heavy sigh.

"I've been stuck in this stupid house for over a week surly a little walk won't hurt us. You said that the villagers don't go into the forest anyway so we shouldn't get caught." Phil still looked doubtful but then his face lit up.

"I know! If we take Ethel and some supplies you need for the journey we could go to the border and if there's no guards around you can go back to Serultria." He said excitedly

Dan frowned. He knew he was a burden to Phil because Phil did have to pay for him and what not so he supposed the other man would be glad to rid of him but it seemed a bit mean that Phil was so excited about it. From what Dan, had gathered Phil's only real friend appeared to be a lovely girl called hazel who lived in the next village and popped in to say hello every so often. Dan would have thought that Phil would have been glad to have some company. Well unless this hazel was a little more than just a friend, maybe Phil just wanted some *cough* alone time with her. But then Phil had quite obviously flirted with Phil on more than one occasion so that probably wasn't the case. Speaking of flirting, Phil's odd complements and occasional seductive nature were really starting to keep Dan up at night. While Phil may have started out as his back-up plan the older man was really starting to grow on him. He was clever and witty, not to mention fucking gorgeous. Ok so Phil had already let some of his secret guilty thoughts become not so secret guilty thoughts but who could blame him when Phil turned around wearing those glasses. Glasses were never something he had found particularly attractive in people before, they reminded him of the castle elders who helped govern the council of Serultria. They were a bloody boring lot. Phil however looked so good in glasses. They framed his face well, giving much more of a sophisticated look but also making him look quite dorky, which was, in Dan's opinion, a very good look on him.