3 April 2017 | 👙

I'M JUST ABOUT to complete the top loop on the 8 I'm scrawling into the notebook perched on my knee when the No.2 HB pencil I'm using slips out of my too-tight grasp. "Shoot," I mutter, watching as the orange stick flies through the chlorine-scented air, landing a few steps below me.

I'm surprised but not shocked. Not really, considering this has happened to me before. Except last time was during a exam, and I earned death stares from everyone around and a laugh from the invigilator when she came to return my pencil. This time's different, with my pencil ending up somewhere in the abyss of the swimming centre's bleachers, possibly never to be seen again.

I really hope no one saw that.

Grabbing onto my notebook, I plant it beside me on the bench, then stand up to find my pencil.

As soon as I'm on my feet, I see him. (Aka the saviour of my stationary.) Bending over to pick up my lost pencil is a golden-haired boy, his modestly athletic build making me wonder why he's up here and not swimming lanes in the pool below. His blue Adidas sports jacket with the name Acheson stitched beneath the collar only heightens my curiosity. When he gets back up, I notice his right arm is in a sling.

Turning around to face me, Acheson's eyes, which are blue as the water filling the pool beneath us, find mine. He swiftly climbs the few steps separating us, then outstretches his arm, offering me the pencil.

"Thank you," I say, accepting it.

"No problem," he replies, the smile he sends me stretching easily across his face.

As I sit back down, Acheson pushes his messenger bag back so it rests against his hip, then continues up the bleachers, disappearing out of my sight.