7 April 2017 | 👙

WHEN I FINISH my final math assignment of the term, I slam my notebook shut, a little disappointed that the flimsy thing doesn't make a satisfying sound to mimic the joy I feel now that I'm done with weekly assignments. I'll have to remember to invest in a hardcover next year.

Tucking my school supplies into my backpack, I zip up the bag, then dig a hand into my sweater pocket to retrieve my cell phone. It's nearly one o' clock; it's taken me all morning to finish my homework, and I'll be late to my next class if I don't get a move on it.

My stomach lets out a loud growl as I stuff my cellphone back into my pocket. I quickly throw my bag over my shoulder, then make my way down the set of bleachers. The moment my foot hits the bottom step, I realize I haven't seen Graham today. Maybe our rendez-vous was just a one time thing, just an attempt to make friendly contact with a stranger to ease the awkwardness from our first meeting— an act of politeness. Or maybe he just thought I was too focused on my work today to want to be disturbed. 

With that thought in mind, I can't help but turn around, scanning the bleachers for any sight of the friendly boy. I'm a little disappointed when all I see is a black-haired kid wearing Beats by Dr. Dre, typing furiously on a laptop, and oblivious to the couple making out in the top corner— gross. But at the same time I'm hopeful because Graham's absence means that there's a chance we might meet again, might get to have more light-hearted conversations about whatever.

And I'd really, really like that.