Dumbfounded

My stomach was knotted up. How and why was that locket in my pocket? I did not put it there. I know I did not.
"Ma'am please take a seat." I sat down in the chair in front of the desk. His name tag said, "Sheriff Tony". I took a deep breath and looked at him straight in the eye. Before I could say anything, he asked;
"You work for the news paper right?"
"Y-yes." I was not expecting him to start talking. He smiled and held his hand out.
"Big pleasure." I shook it and felt a lot better.
"Listen here-" he folded his hands and lowered his voice.
"Everybody makes mistakes. I get that. I'll let it slide this time." He smiled, and continued.
"My problem here is that you have this necklace. When I asked you last night you stated that you just found it. Is this true?"
"Yes sir. I woke up one morning and found it next to my bed. And-and I promise you I did not take it with me last night." He nodded his head and thought.
"I'm going to believe you for now. I am doing this because you have done a lot for the town."
"Ok. Thank you." I took another deep breath.
"I have one more thing to show you dear." He stood up and opened his office door.
"Go on out."
**
We walked into a room that was far back in the station. Towering shelves and boxes. This was where evidence was kept. I felt sick again.