Preface

BELLA

I felt the wind on my face. I opened my eyes, Edward was not there. "Edward. . . ." I whispered. Tears were swimming in my eyes. I could not help it but bring legs forward even though I knew I will never find him. I had to try. Try wouldn't hurt. I brought myself forward and walked into the forest.

...........................................................................................................

I have wandered into unknown forests for countless hours. It was getting dark. A chill went through me and I shivered. What if I will never see Edward again? What if I was lost and I will never find the way to home? I was getting worrier and what ifs was swimming around in my head. The waves of pain that had only reached into my feet before now reached high and washed over my head, pulling me under. I was gasping for air. I struggled for it. 

But I did not resurface. 

.............................................................................................................

Snip. Snip. Snip.

My eyes opened wide. The sound. . . .what was that? Fighting with my weak knees, I stood up. Edward? My heart leaped into full of hope. You'll never know. "Edward?" I yelled, didn't care if it was another person and it was not Edward. I didn't have time for feel ashamed. 

"You wish." An unfamiliar, high, babyish, soprano tinkling voice said.

Another wave of pain crashed over me again. By the voice, I knew it was not Edward. Or any of the Cullens. This time, I have lost it. Tears let go. I cried at first then broke into sobbing. I fell on my knees. 

"Aww, you poor, weak human. Afraid." The voice said, softly at first, it was an obvious false pity, then laughed an evil laugh. I sniffed and looked up. My heart stopped. 

Victoria. 

I had to cover my mouth to stop a scream. Victoria laughed again. Her laugh echoed through the forest. The snip sound must be the leaves breaking when Victoria walked through it. I realized. I quickly backed away from Victoria. Victoria began to walk towards me. I was panting. Pain of Edward being gone was forgotten. Fear has overcome me. Leftovers of tears from before leaked away. "Please." I gasped. 

Victoria laughed. Again. "You wish," Victoria smirked. "I believe I have heard that before," I said. I have to show some courage and maybe, she would make this faster. Kill me fast. Pain would be gone. All gone. I would be dead in a second. I'll eventually have to make her mad too. There is no way I would live without Edward. Victoria clenched her teeth, and growled. "You're dead."

She lunged at me.

I closed my eyes, waiting for my death. Nothing. I excepted feeling the pain of Victoria banging into my body. But nothing. Vampire is not that slow. Slowly, I opened one eye. Wolves. I left my mouth open. It was not any kind of wolves, but huge, there are eight wolves. (In this book, all of the pack is already wolfs in New Moon.) My mouth is still open. 

I took a step back. Victoria was running around like a blur. The wolfs was chasing her. I could not keep my eyes transfixed on Victoria. I was getting dizzy. Then a sudden pain. Not the waves of pain that had crashed over me, but the physical pain. It was similar to James'  bite before then. . . . .before he left me. I gasped. 

I screamed. "It hurts! It hurts!" I was struggling to breathe. "Fire! Fire! Fire! Stop the fire!" I screamed hysterically. I couldn't bear the pain. My throat tighten. I couldn't tell where Victoria has bitten me. Pain already has spread over my body. Fast. I checked my both hands first where James has bitten me. Nothing. Only blood on my hands. I traced my hands on my neck, where vampires normally bite. A stab pain on my neck. It's my neck, all right. Victoria has bitten my neck. 

I heard voices. "Is she dead?" 

"I don't think so. She is breathing, but hardly."

"God, Sam. You have to save her." Jacob. I would realize that voice anywhere. He was the reason I'd found out that he was a vampire, after all.

"Breathe, Bella!"

Blood stopped rushing in my veins.

"It is too late!" 

"No. It couldn't be!" 

A feeling touched my arms. It was burning, hot, like a fever. 

"She's cold."

My lungs stopped getting air.

"She's dead!" 

Beat. Beat. It was the sound of my heart. It was beating slowly. Then it happened so sudden.

My heart stopped.