Three

I'll never forget the promise Matt made me, but I'm not gonna let him die for me either. I smiled at Matt and told him I was in a hurry but he insisted on talking to me.
"The ceremony's tonight." He said.
"Yeah well you'll probably go home and sleep soundly tonight. It's my family that has the bad luck."
"Don't say that!" He half shouted.
"Why not? It's true."
"You won't get picked. And even if you do you'll find your way home."
"No guarantees." I whispered.
"You won't get picked."
"I have to go now. I've got things to do. People to trade with-"
"No matter what happens know that I love you." Said Matt. Of course he loves me he's my best friend.
"Yeah, no matter what I love you too."
We hugged and I was on my way.

I went into the market and looked for my usual trade partners. The market was pretty much barren today like every ceremony day.

I found Mr. Beckett. My best customer.
"Hello julie. How are you today?"
"I'm doing fine mr. Beckett. How about you?"
"I'm doing dandy."
Mr. Beckett was an old man who was very positive and happy everyday 24/7. He was very good company to keep.
"So. A dozen eggs for that sack of apples and a loaf of bread?"
"How about two dozen eggs and I throw in half a wheel of cheese?"
"It's a deal." I said.
As I skipped home with food to last my family a whole week I thought about how Mr. Beckett never gave me that much food. Did he think my family was going to be chosen again? My family couldn't be chosen again. Me, Lynn, and my mother are the only ones left and Lynn couldn't live without any of us. That probably wasn't it though. The thought left my mind as quickly as it came.

I walked into my house and the grim atmosphere immediately wiped the smile from my face. It was now lunch time. We each ate half an apple in silence. Afterwards I went out to feed our chickens and our goat Darla. As I stepped out side the day seemed more gray than earlier. But I expected that. Everyone is quiet and reserved today.

Just as I was finishing my chores someone put their hand on my shoulder. I quickly jumped and our neighbor Ms. Kahn apologized for startling me.
"Good luck to your family tonight."
"The same for you as well." If Ms. Kahn's family were to be picked she would have to go and take the tests. She's the only one left in her family. She's an old woman who's to old to get married and have kids. Half the cities just been waiting for her to keel over so there's one less mouth to feed.
Ms. Kahn walked back to her house and shut the door behind her.

I finished with my chores and started wandering around the city. As I walked I saw guards lined at every entrance to the fence surrounding our city. (They tell us everything beyond except for a few cities are destroyed.) I see kids so skinny you could count their ribs playing in their yards. I see people begging for food and shelter on street corners. I see despair. Everywhere. I hate that there's nothing I can do about it.