Author's Note / Prologue

Author's Note

Before this new story begins, I would like to thank everyone who has read it and stayed loyal, waited for parts to come out, even if I posted less and less up until this very point. Honestly, if it wasn't for all of your support and love for The Girl and the Shark, I would never have continued it this far or make its return. So thank you all, I hope you will not be disappointed with the new installment of this weird and slightly topsy turvy take on The Little Mermaid, and we love you all.
Please be mindful of the following things:
Many of the known characters in this story, especially Erica, Leon, Edge and a few other supporting roles are being developed further, therefore being altered completely. This story is after all being started from the bottom up once again.
Erica Baine is now named Ember Baine.

***

Prologue

Two thirds of planet Earth is covered in water. The oceans are the most unexplored places on this world we humans call home. We know more about space than the very depths of our seas.
They will always remain a mystery to us, the oceans are worlds of their own...some places far beyond human touch or exploration.
I guess that's what makes them so beautiful. And so dangerous.
Even still, one would be foolish to deny the fact that this danger is one of the many things that makes the vast expanses of water that cover our beloved planet even more beautiful.

There is no way for you to surely say that intelligent species don't dwell under the surface. Mermaids, sea monsters, creatures some would only brush off as silly stories and folklore...they all have a possibility of existing. Who is to say that somewhere out there, deep where humans have yet to venture, there isn't something.

And let me tell you.

There is.

All these things exist. You just have to know where to find them.
My name is Ember. And even though I have always loved the ocean, and have been drawn to it since I was a little girl, whenever I would hear a story about some creature in the water, or an alleged sighting of some mer person, I would brush it off as simply mistakes and crazy spun tales.
This way of thinking quickly changed when I was shown different. When I was too dragged straight into this other world. This world which lies right at our doorstep.

It is a wonderful world. Brilliant and captivating as well as alien and brutal. Simple laws exist along side societies and laws, just as complicated as our own.

I'm Ember Baine. And this is how I ended up neck deep in a life I had never thought I would lead.