Nine - Ember

Nine

Ember

"The vending machine doesn't have anything good. We can stop by Mac D's on the way back. I feel like a cheeseburger anyway"

I heard Marcy's voice ask me something. I lifted my head towards her in a weak nod, though my eyes didn't waver from burning a hole into the grey linoleum flooring of the hospital room.
I could hear the quiet bustle of doctors, nurses and other hospital staff moving around the Urgent Care unit outside. Not to mention all the tired, hurting and frustrated patients and walk in cases waiting for their turn to be seen.

I had cut my hand open on the blade of my pocket knife in the struggle to cut through the net without being toppled in by what was inside it, fighting to get free.
I didn't remember how it happened. I don't think I even remember feeling the sharp edge slice my skin open.
I only realised how much blood there was when a hysterical Marcy grabbed me and demanded to know if I was alright.

I had been quiet for the last few hours, unsure of what to say. Of what to think.
When the female doctor asked how I had gotten my injury while putting in the three or so stitches it needed to heal up without scarring or opening up, I absently told her I had fallen.
What else was I supposed to say?
My mind replayed the memories from the hours past, the images still crystal clear in my head. I wasn't saying much, or talking.
Just focusing on what I had seen.
Trying to make sense. To remember every detail that swam through my head.

I sat on the edge of the hospital bed, holding my hand, over which a nurse had wrapped some soft white gauze and bandages to cover the stitches. Other than waiting for my friend, I was ready to leave.

What had I seen?
Was it a human, who simply fell in and hid from me? No... that made even less sense.
Was it a shark? A shark with a human head?

Had I seen a mermaid?

It was the only possible explanation for the memory stuck in my head on loop. Suddenly me seeing a face out on the waves, and remembering those eyes before I came to on the beach a year ago didn't feel so... ridiculous.
Everything as a whole just felt insane.
There had to be truth in this.

I didn't just think I saw it.
I know I did.
Even if it made me out to be crazy, I wasn't going to brush this off and chalk it up to shock or nerves.
What I saw was real, it was there.
And if it was the last thing I did, I was going to understand it.

"Emmy?"

I heard Marcy call me by her nickname for me. She was the only one whose ever called me that. I tried to nod, though my brain was still caught up in the image of that person, the long brown hair, pointed ears, and wide stormy blue eyes. I barely registered what my best friend was saying, until I felt her hand on my arm.
My head snapped up to finally face her. Marceline's features were a pure display of worry. Her brow creased, huge brown orbs looking at me with a genuine concern.

"What happened? Did someone-"

"I tripped." I said in a flat tone. The blonde girl rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. She tapped her foot and blue flip flop a few times against the flooring.

"The Doctor may have bought that story but no way in hell do I. So spill."

I directed my gaze back at my shoes. Hesitating. Scared of saying what I had seen out loud, and not believing myself should I hear it being told.
After a long silent moment, my decision was made.

"...I saw it."

"A shark?" Marcy asked without pause. "Is that what attacked you again?"

"No." I made sure to look at her dead on before continuing. I noticed my sudden change in demeanour caught her off guard, but I didn't retreat. "It didn't attack me. It was caught in the net. I.. must have cut myself trying to get it out."