Chapter 6

The three ghosts and Tucker slipped into Fire's home and grabbed the money she had stashed away.
She dug under her bed of rabbit skins and torn up blankets, pulling out a few suit cases of cash.
"Turns out that the Loki family was loaded." Fire winked. "I was contacted when Xena's account was in danger of getting closed. The bank was going to just take the money, but I took it first." Her movements became slower and a frown settled on her features. Dani frowned while Phantom and Tucker looked uncomfortable.
"Mom, are you okay? Who's Xena?" She asked innocently. The wolf girl tensed, her tail bristling a bit.
"No one that's important at the moment. If you want to know ask-" Fire cut herself off, making her tone softer, "Please, don't ask me. Ask your dad... He'll tell you." Dani's frown deepened as Fire turned around and stood up, her eyes glassy from tears.
"Let's go." She whispered quietly. The wolf girl handed the boys the suit cases and walked out. Phantom glared at her back and handed the case to Tucker.
"Take this and watch Dani. I have to talk to Fire." Tucker nodded and watched his best friend walk out of the room.
Danny stormed out and saw Fire hugging herself just outside the room, "I'm sorry..." she whimpered.
He looked at her and his eyes softened, "Fire, you can't keep doing this. You can't keep giving her teasing glances at who you are!"
His anger returned slightly, "You can't do to her what you do to me!"
Her ears perked up and she looked at him with a furrowed brow, "What exactly do I do, Danny?"
He huffed, "You shut me out! You can't shut her out!"
Fire's eyes narrowed slightly, "Xena Loki is connected to my death Danny. Her soul moved on, but I wasn't able to. What exactly do you expect me to tell her?"
Danny growled, "Will you listen?!"
"I am listening." She replied calmly.
"It's you who's getting bent out of shape."
"Gah!" He groaned, "You are so infuriating! You can't just walk out like that! This isn't the wilderness Fire! You aren't a wolf anymore."
He glared at her, "You. Are. Human."
Fire's eyes flared red for a split second, "Danny, saying that I'm human is like saying that the moon is green. I'm not human. I have humanity, memories of what a family should be, which aren't mine by the way, and you."
"Fire-"
"No Danny!" She shouted, "I'm not human! I take that as an insult!"
Hate made her eyes burn a bright red, the pain and dark memories blinding all logic and reasoning, "I will never be one of them! I was never one of them! Most of the humans I've met all want to hurt me or kill me! Your parents! Sam! The GIW!" Phantom backed up while Fire prowled forward.
"Now you want to try and hurt me with words?" The wolf girl brought a clawed hand to her partner's chin, scraping her claws against his skin, but not hard enough to make him bleed.
"I'm not human and you're right, I'm not just a wolf, but you better be damn sure that I will not tolerate being treated as lesser. There are things that you don't talk about either. Xena Loki is something I don't talk about." Her eye color faded back to silver, but her glare wasn't any less harsh.
"I expect you to respect that." Fire let her hand fall to her side before she went back into her room to get Tucker and Dani. Phantom frowned when he thought about what she said before sighing and shaking his head.
They would figure out how to communicate better later. Right now they needed to get away from the GIW, his parents, and everyone else because he knew. He just knew that his parents would force him to tell them about Fire somehow and there was no way in hell he was giving her or his daughter up without a fight.
Danny's eyes burned brighter with determination as his partner, his best friend, and his daughter walked out of the other room.
"Let's go." He said. The wolf girl nodded and knelt down so Dani could get on her back, using her tail to hold the suit case and keep it pinned to her back.
Fire smiled, amused that Dani was using her tail in such a way. Phantom chuckled and shook his head before grabbing his friend and flying out of there using intangibility while Fire and Dani burned the small cottage like home to the ground. Smoke curled up into the sky as the girls ran out of the blaze, Dani still on Fire's back.
The boys sighed in relief. Now they were all officially on the run...