Chapter 1

Ruth Mitchell had just driven passed the traffic light when she heard the siren. Glancing into her rearview mirror, she saw a police car's whirling red-blue emergency lights blinking at her.

 Glancing into her rearview mirror, she saw a police car's whirling red-blue emergency lights blinking at her

"Pull over," a deep, male voice instructed, filtering through the patrol car's roof-mounted loudspeaker.

Placing her hand on her baby bump, Ruth gulped.

"Not yet, little one," she uttered, applying the brakes. "You're still three months away from being born."

That's what Ruth had hoped. She'd already had a premature birth scare thirty days ago. That had been brought about by her nervous energy. It had prodded Ruth to foolishly push a portable counter on wheels in her Faith Hills "Something for Everyone" novelty store. From the strain of that silly action, she'd felt as though her baby was going to be born that day. She had later thanked her lucky stars for the news from her doctor at the hospital that her baby was still safe in her womb. She didn't want her baby to have to struggle for life, if born premature. Her baby deserved better. Much better. That's why Ruth--a recent widow--was going to give the baby up for adoption as a newborn in ninety days.

Glancing into her car's rearview mirror again, Ruth saw the police cruiser not far from her back bumper. 

This is no dream.

She trembled. The police had never pulled her over before. 

"But the light was yellow," she grumbled to herself, gaining composure, rolling her dark eyes.

Ruth was late enough for the Easter-Sunday Mass. Would a police encounter here make her miss the entire celebration? But what could she do, not stop?...

A sigh escaped her. 

How ridiculous. You're pulling me over on Easter morning? There's nobody even on the road.

Since the sudden passing of Ruth's husband, Darren, six months ago, and of her becoming a widow at the age of thirty-six, she had soured on life.

Initially, some of Ruth's friends had helped her through all the grief. Rebecca Danson, who owned the local laundromat, had taken on doing Ruth's laundry for free. Carolyn Eason, who had worked in the local bakery, had help with the grocery shopping and cooking of meals for Ruth. Mayor Jenny Caine, had stopped in Ruth's novelty store from time to time to see how she was doing.

But such friends could only help for so long. They needed to get back to their own lives and did so.

Ruth understood, but it frightened her to not have her friends helping as much anymore. And with her bills mounting, store rent overdue, and her husband passing without life insurance, Ruth was financially strapped, too.

Still, it had been at Darren's requiem where Ruth realized she had two choices. One: she could mourn and sulk the rest of her life away; two: she could do something positive with her life--something that would enable her to give joy to others, as well as make her late husband proud.

Ruth had chosen to do the latter. How she was going to bring that about six months ago, she didn't know.

Today, though, she did know.

***************

Hi, Wattpadders! Much thanks for reading this chapter! Is Ruth, really, about to be pulled over? Or, are the police just on their way to another call, and need her to move out of the way? Let me know in the comment section what you think. I'd love to know your thoughts!

I hope you'll keep reading this story, guys! And, if you liked this chapter, don't forget to "vote"--I'd so appreciate it. It takes only a second to do. Just click the "vote star" in the above right-hand corner of this page, or the "star" just below, and you're done! Thank you! Now enjoy the next chapter!! :D