Chapter 5

To say that St. Mary's Easter Mass organ player had her mind elsewhere during the joyous celebration would have been an understatement. Ruth had been not only twenty minutes late—and the focus of all eyes when she entered the church—but also all thumbs when it had come her time to play the day's hymns.

That had never been more apparent to the congregation than when Ruth had played the Christmastime song "Silent Night," instead of  "Jesus Christ Is Ris'n Today!" as the main Easter Sunday song. And Ruth's music misstep hadn't gone unnoticed by Pastor Westfield.

"Perhaps playing the organ on Easter is just too much for you, Ruth," Pastor Westfield began, as he spoke to her in his office after the Mass.

"I apologize, Father, but it's not that," she replied, flustered. "On the way over here today, I got a traffic ticket for going through a red light and it's been on my mind ever since. I'm almost certain the light was yellow, but I was running late and I really don't know."

"Did you explain that to the officer?"

Ruth frowned. "After our initial exchange, I couldn't get a word in edgewise. Officer 'Nicholas Night,' as his name tag read, didn't want to hear it. He just wanted to ticket me," she spat, straightening her shoulders. "And to think I thought he was cute. That I could...."

Her words trailed off as she noticed Pastor Westfield's raised brow and she, with nervous hesitation and some reserved embarrassment, took a seat in a nearby chair.

A restrained grin crept to the pastor's face. "You could challenge the ticket, Ruth," he said, with a twinkle in his seasoned eyes. "And even if you're unable to get the fine completely thrown out, you might be able to get it reduced. That is, after a traffic judge hears what you have to say."

Ruth did a double take. Had she heard the pastor correctly? She thought he would tell her to just pay the fine. What gives? What was he saying here?

Reading Ruth's facial uncertainty, the pastor continued, "Do you have the ticket with you, Ruth?"

She nodded.

"Good," he answered extending his hand, palm up. "Because I had been studying to become a lawyer when the Lord called me years ago. Perhaps your officer didn't correctly fill out the ticket. There might be grounds on it for dismissal. Do you mind if I take a look at the summons?"

Like a deer caught in headlights, Ruth remained face frozen and still in her seat, her thoughts tripping back to the roadside pullover, her earlier car-stop whispering up to God for help, her conversation with Officer Night, and of her "Silent Night" hymn-playing misstep.

"Ruth?..." asked the pastor waving his hand at her staring eyes. "The summons?"

The pastor's question brought Ruth back to the present.

"Uh...oh, sure...y-yes," she said, verbally stumbling. "Not at all, Father Westfield. I don't mind."

Ruth reached into her purse and brought forth the ticket. Leaning forward in her seat toward the pastor seated behind his desk, she handed him the paper.

Pastor Westfield took the document, then, pulling his spectacles from his breast pocket said softly, "I can't read small print that well anymore, Ruth

Pastor Westfield took the document, then, pulling his spectacles from his breast pocket said softly, "I can't read small print that well anymore, Ruth."

The organist's face lit with a simple, caring smile, as Father Westfield donned his spectacles.

Glancing over the paper, Father quickly dropped it to his desk as a jovial laugh bubbled deep within him, then escaped his lips to fill the room.

Quizzically, Ruth eyed the holy man, her hands hugging her elbows.

His laughing continued.

Uneasy over not being in on "the joke," Ruth's face held pensive. But what joke?

"Well, I'm glad that you think my having to pay an Easter-day traffic fine is so funny, Father," Ruth finally mustered between Father's hiccupping humor, all the while mentally scratching her head as to the cause of his hilarity at this moment in time.

***************

Hello, all! Great to have you read this latest chapter! Thank you!!

Why do you think Father Westfield is finding Ruth's ticket situation so humorous? Let me know in the comment section. And do "vote" for this chapter if you liked it. I realllyyy hope that you do and can't wait to tell me why in your comments!:D Then I'll see you in the next chapter. ;)