Chapter 6

Part VI

Tonight I lay exhausted in bed. Elizabeth sat up in bed with the laptop. She barely used it before but it has now become an extension of her arm. She is constantly writing.

"Tom," Elizabeth pulls me from the edge of sleep.

"Hmm," I mutter

"You have really nice sides."

"I what?"

"Your obliques, they are really nice. I think they're probably one of your best features. You'll probably still get a pot belly like your dad, but your sides are nice. I think they'll stand the test of time." She pats my side.

It had been about three weeks since everyone brought her flowers. She has been working to leave nothing unsaid. From the frequent and unexpected "I love you"s to some more unique proclamations. I chuckle, the filter between her brain and mouth have become practically non-existent.

"Why are you laughing?"

"You have nice earlobes. I like that they aren't attached." I reciprocate.

" You should take the kids to the movies this weekend."

"That's a great Idea, baby. What do you want to go see?"

"No, Honey. Not me, you and the kids. I have a treatment tomorrow. My parents are going to take me."

"Why don't you want to go?" I roll over to look at her. Her reading glasses are low on her nose as she types away on her computer screen.

"It would take a lot out of me. I've been doing better lately and I don't want to overdo it. The kids deserve an outing- and you, too. They are always with my parents or the sitters. I think you all could use a break, and if I go you all will fret over me like I'm an invalid or something."

"No, we won't."

"Yes, you will."

"We won't, I promise. I'm not leaving you alone."

"I won't be alone, because I'm going with my parents. I've already arranged it. You are taking the kids to the movies. I want to spend some time with them. We have some things to discuss and the last couple of times that they have come, the kids have been in earshot. I want some one-on-one time with them."

I stare at her. I see her point but I don't like to be away from her. "You don't want to spend time with me?"

"Dammit," she snaps her fingers "the jig is up. You figured it out. This was all a ruse to get you out of the house so that I could run away with the milk man."

"Hardy har-har."

"But seriously, can you please take the kids to the movies, give them a good weekend?"

"Okay." I roll over to my side of the bed.

"And can you promise you will enjoy yourselves?"

"Okay."

Saturday morning comes sooner than later.

The decided film was the first showing of the day. It was a movie adaption of Macy's favorite TV show. Trevor tried to pretend he didn't want to see the movie. 'It was for babies', but I heard him laughing and singing along with Macy when she watched the show. I pretend not to see it, so he can maintain his 'big boy' persona. Elizabeth suggested that we go the park and have ice cream too. This suggestion was in front of the kids so it almost immediately became the agenda for the weekend.

"Are you two munchkins, going to behave for Daddy?" Elizabeth casts a speculative eye on our children as she sits in her wheel chair by the door. She only needed the wheel chair when she was preparing to travel. It takes a lot of energy from her to walk any substantial distances.