More Slytherin Than Any Of Us

Disclaimer – I solemnly swear that JKR owns everything Harry Potter. Whether or not I am up to no good with her characters is for you to decide.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

8:50pm

Thursday, 24 November 1994

Severus Snape's Private Quarters, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

.

Draco settled himself into the armchair that he usually used whenever he visited his godfather's quarters. At the moment he was struggling to contain his feelings after the events of the day, not that he was sure that he could articulate exactly what those feelings were.

The black robe of his godfather swished as he turned from the cupboard where Draco knew the man kept his drinks. His left hand held a mug of dark brown mead, the other a bottle.

Mimicking one of his godfather's favourite expressions, Draco simply raised an eyebrow at the offered bottle of butterbeer. With a scowl, the offer was withdrawn in favour of the mead. Draco smirked victoriously as his godfather turned back once again to pour a second mug for himself.

"You are aware that you are not yet of-age, aren't you, and that it's illegal for you to drink that?" Severus asked as he took the second armchair.

Draco allowed himself a long, pointed sip before replying. "As if the rules applied to the likes of us."

"An answer worthy of your Father," Severus remarked.

The two sat there in silence then, both obviously replaying the day's events in their minds. This was not an uncommon occurrence for the two. More often than not, they would spend at least one night a week together, discussing the happenings within the castle and within the wider magical world in general.

It'd been this way since the beginning of Draco's first year, something that Draco's father had thought would be a good way for the Malfoy heir to continue his tutelage away from the unwanted attention of the muggle-loving teachers in the school.

"I expected Victor to score higher," Draco commented.

"His performance was by far the best," Severus agreed. "He was the only one of the three proper Champions to remain uninjured. It was simply unfortunate that the beast destroyed its own eggs. Even Igor admitted that he had to take a point off for that; the Champions were told, after all, that the real eggs were not to be harmed."

"Still," Draco replied, leaving the rest of his thought unspoken though his meaning was clear to both.

"Potter made a mockery of the whole Tournament, though," Draco remarked.

"Did he?" Severus asked, a contemplative look appearing on his face.

"Of course he did! To stand there painting a picture of the stupid dragon instead of competing as a proper Champion should," Draco stated vehemently.

"And yet, he got the egg," Snape replied, his look deepening.

"The dragon gave it to him," Draco replied, waving away the observation.

Severus' eyes focussed on his godson. "And yet, that was the objective of the Task."

The two sat in silence for minute then, both reliving the memory of how Potter had convinced the dragon to give him the egg.

"A parseltongue Potter, who would have ever imagined it?" Severus mused.

"Parseltongue," Draco snorted. "He's polluting Salazar's noble ability even by simply having the ability."