The Legalities of the Second Task

Disclaimer – I solemnly swear that JKR owns everything Harry Potter. Whether or not I am up to no good with her characters is for you to decide.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

Muggle-Raised Champion a

Chapter 23 – The Legalities of the Second Task

8:45am

Saturday, 25 February 1995

Entrance Hall, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

.

Daphne Greengrass was the epitome of a self-assured pureblood, raised in all of the traditions of old, a girl who projected an air of being better than all, of seeing all those around her as being unimportant. At least, that is what the blank expression on her face and the upright posture and assured steps cried out to all around her as she stepped from the Great Hall into the Entrance Hall.

The truth was somewhat different.

Daphne was trembling inside. Her father coming to see her at Hogwarts was unprecedented. Only the most dire of circumstances would see him here. That, or he was here to deliver the dressing down of dressing downs. She could only hope that his ire wasn't going to be directed at her.

Either way, there was only one way to act, regardless of how she was feeling inside. Her occulmancy shields were firmly in place, hiding her emotions deep inside. Her posture and bearing were correct in every way, exactly as she'd been taught. Outwardly, no one could tell that she was scared silly and dreading the forthcoming encounter with every fibre of her being.

If she thought that she could get away with it, she'd run. Not that she had any reason to; she hadn't done anything wrong, no matter what the paper had implied.

"Father," she said as she came to a halt the correct five paces from him.

Cyrus Greengrass – Lord Greengrass – turned from where he was studying a tapestry and looked down his nose at his daughter, his bright blue eyes, the eyes that she'd inherited from him, seeming to pierce her very soul.

He was dressed in his finest, his black acromantula silk robes pressed perfectly, the Greengrass signal clear for all to see on his left breast. His pants, like his cloak and dragon-hide boots, were also black, only his midnight blue shirt and charcoal grey vest giving any hint of colour in today's outfit. All in all, a dark choice of clothing and, when matched with his carefully coiffed black hair with its touch of grey at the temples, it created a very imposing image.

"Daphne," her father finally replied. He lifted his arm, then, gesturing towards a corridor lined with classrooms. "Shall we find somewhere a little more private to hold our discussion?"

"Certainly, Father," Daphne replied with a respectful nod.

She led him, then, in the directed direction, only stopping when she felt a tap on her shoulder as they drew adjacent to the fourth door along. Once inside the classroom, she waited while her father applied the appropriate charms to the walls and door to assure them of their privacy.

Putting away his wand, Lord Greengrass whirled around to face his daughter. She stood firm under his gaze, keeping still even as he stroked his chin, his opposing hand supporting the elbow of the cocked hand. And then he slowly circled her. Throughout it all, Daphne knew what was expected of her – to stay perfectly still under his scrutiny.

"You appear to have remembered your lessons," her Father remarked when he was once again facing her, "but your behaviour would belie that idea."

"In what way has my behaviour not met your standards, Father?" Daphne asked, although she was fairly certain that she already knew the answer.