The Hope of the Wizarding World

Disclaimer – I solemnly swear that JKR owns everything Harry Potter. Whether or not I am up to no good with her characters is for you to decide.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

A/N – Before we begin this next chapter, I'd like to take the time to thank each and every one of you who took the time to send me some encouragement, whether it be by review or pm, about not just this story, but my writing in general. You'll never know how much it meant to me.

/ ( 0 v 0 ) \

Muggle-Raised Champion

Chapter 15 – The Hope of the Wizarding World

2:02pm

Tuesday, 11 December 1994

Charms Corridor, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

.

Movement from the corner of her eye distracted Daphne just enough to have her pause after leaving the Charms classroom. Beside her, her best friend Tracey, gave her a queer look, obviously trying to work out what had caught her attention.

Slowly, she turned her head, searching for what she had noticed. And then she saw him. Lurking in the doorway of the classroom two doors down was Harry Potter. He was shuffling his feet slightly even as he craned his head about, watching as the various Slytherins and Hufflepuffs left class.

Instantly, she knew what this was about. She'd noticed him the last couple of days, often nearby looking incredibly nervous about something. The first time had been Sunday at breakfast. Twice his head had poked in the door before quickly withdrawing and then, when it finally looked as though whatever he had on his mind had been decided, he'd been intercepted by the odd little Ravenclaw and whisked away.

Determinedly repressing the smile that threatened to appear, Daphne indicated the lurking boy to Tracey, who, for her part, grinned widely before immediately turning and striding the other direction.

Deciding to take pity on the poor boy, she turned to her left and began walking down the corridor.

"Daphne!" Harry called at her approach, an uncertain smile on his lips.

"Hello, Harry," she replied.

"Would you ... do you have a couple of minutes ... to talk? In private?" he asked.

She'd been asked out more than a dozen times this year alone, not to mention the three invites that she'd already declined for the Yule Ball, so she was in half a mind to refuse his request, to make him wait just a bit longer. But this was Harry. His confidence wasn't as high as he often made out. She'd seen the small, uncertain boy that he kept hidden behind his emotive green eyes.

"Of course, Harry. I have the rest of the afternoon off," she told him.

She waited then, one eyebrow raised. Finally, he got the hint and opened the door for her. As she entered the room, her back to the nervous boy, she allowed herself a smile. He showed promise.

This was one of those rooms that was used only sparingly, which meant that, while there were desks and chairs set up, they were slightly dusty. A quick scourgify cleaned the closest chair and she sat primly.

Harry, for his part, perched on the edge of a nearby desk before promptly jumping up again and settling into its chair. His leg, she noticed, was bouncing slightly.

"Daphne," he began what she recognised as a well-practised speech. "I was wondering if you would accompany me to the Yule Ball. As my date."

She was surprised. Not only did he manage to get it all out in one go without stammering, but it was actually coherent and at an appropriate speed and volume.