Chapter 6

Trina arrives back at the house after a long eight-hour shift, walks in the living room and notices Donny’s bookbag dumped next to the Ottoman.  First, she takes off her pumps at the door, then picks up his bag and hangs it on the hook near the closet door.  She straightens up the house a bit, heads over to the island in her kitchen, where her pots and pans hang over.  There, on the counter, she notices a stack of school papers of Donny’s, so she goes to put them back in his book bag.  Of course, being his mom she took advantage of her right to look it over.  Trina notices a letter, she reads over it and it was from his school, addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Parker, requesting permission for entrance into the accelerated program.  She was proud of Donny, but upset Donald signed it without discussing it.  She’s livid, and paces back and forth, wanting to call Donald and confront him, but instead, she vents out loud to herself.
“Damn motha fucka don’t talk to me about nothing.  He always coming in some damn where trying to play the best dad of the year.  That’s my damn son and my damn decision to make.  Shit, he thinks he doing something and Donny ain’t even his.  Ha! ha! Jokes on him. Got to be more careful, Donny boy!”  Trina talks shit about Donald, knowing she can’t live without him.  Her love for him is one of the reasons she kept the secret for so long, she didn’t want to break Donald and Donny’s, heart.
A loud noise makes Trina jump, “What the fuck was that?”
Frantic, Trina grabs a gun out her purse and hides it, walks down the long, narrow, semi-dark hallway that led near the room she shared with Donald. 
Breathing heavily, she says, “Who’s there?  I’m tellin’ you motha fucka I’m not who you want to mess with.”. 
She hurries to her and Donald’s room.  Fear causes her to raise the gun and point it towards the door while opening it slowly.  She goes into the room and looks in her closet, then Donald’s.  The next place she checks is the bathroom in their room. She snatches the shower curtain back, there’s no one.
Now, she walks into Donny’s room and looks in his walk-in closet, behind where he keeps his Jordan tennis shoe collection, no one is there.  She looks underneath his bed as well, still nothing. 
Trina continues down the hallway and looks in the bathroom, closer to Donny’s room, nothing. 
While looking through the rest of the house Trina hears another noise.  It sounds like a rattling noise coming from a distance. Panicked, she fires off two shots.
To hide her fears, she uses a confident tone, “That was your warning, betta back off!”

“Put the gun down woman, are you crazy?” yells out Donald after entering the house.
Then she screamed out, “Nah, I heard some shit.  I’m telling you, let me find out you got one of those lil’ chicken heads sneaking up in here.” Trina says waving the gun in the air, suspecting some shit without even having any evidence of anyone being there or Donald ever cheating.
“Damn girl calm down. What did you hear?  Where did the noise come from?  Shit give me that gun before you end up scaring our son,” Donald says, ignoring her accusations.
“Ma what’s wrong?  What’s going on?”  Donny comes in the door only witnessing Trina giving Donald the gun.  He looks at the gun long and hard as if he never seen one before.  Curiosity is written all over his face, his eyes are wide open and racing back and forth between the gun, Trina and Donald’s hand.
“Nothing baby, mommy just had a long day at work. I was scared when you guys were jiggling the doorknob.  I thought someone was trying to break in is all,” Trina says to mask what was really going on.
“Okay, mom just sit down and relax for a minute.”
Donald searches through the house and notices a breeze coming from the bedroom. It’s obvious someone had climbed out the window because there’s a shoe print right outside it.