02. nevermind home

SLIVKO

SLIVKO

"Hey Reg are you ready to go home? I know I am," Mills says.

"Hell yeah, bud. My mom is gonna make me a cake when I get home – she promised," I answer, trying to picture my mother's face. The memory of the taste of cake waters my tongue, but it's my mother I can't wait to see.

"Cole, whattabout you man?"

The older soldier grunts in response, which is how he usually responds to questions about home. Sometimes Mills can get him to talk, but I wonder if he really has anything to go home to.

"Hey, Mills, how many letters did ya end up writing her," Reles asks him, referring to his mother.

"Eh," Mills groans. "Ten, fifteen?"

"And how many letters did she write you?" I ask, butting in to the conversation.

"I dunno.. Three, four?"

I clenched my jaw while sucking air through my teeth in a form of both mockery and pathetic sympathy.

"Man, you've got a shitty Mom," Cole confirms, an air of genuine sympathy evident in his tone.

Reles and I both sputter out laughter, teasingly.

Mills rolls his eyes and stares at the letter he's writing his mother right now in his lap. "Okay, alright. Real funny guys. I'll be sure to tell her that when I see her in the next 48 hours."

Laughter slowly fading, Reles gazes up at the ceiling of the hangar in which we sit, awaiting our approval to travel back home.

"I can't wait to go home and see my girlfriend, man."

"There ain't no way you've got a girlfriend Reles," Cole laughs.

"Why not?"

"You're too quiet."

"I do too. She's a real good-lookin girl, I tell ya."

Cole turns his attention to me.

"How bout you Reggie boy?" I hate it when he calls me that. "You got a girl back home?"

"Damn right I do."

That was a lie.

"I don't believe you, man," Mills says. "Back when we first met, you said–"

"– I said, yeah, I got a nice girl. She's the prettiest out of any girl you guys have ever seen."

Mills glares at me with evil eyes, but grins mischievously. "Okay, Reg, what's she look like then?"