Chapter 5

Clack, clack, clack.

Vida's heels softly hit the floor of the Palace halls. She wished the cursed thing would be quiet and try not to make a loud sound, but it was entirely her fault. After all, she had purchased the glass slippers; she was a big fan of Cinderella's new shoe line.

"This had better work out", Vida muttered under her breath, careful not to let her voice travel all the way to the inner court room, where her hosts waited.

She couldn't let Isabelle get away with smack talking her after her henchman had fulfilled his mission. She had heard every single word, watched as the damsel had spoken her name oh so boldly and challenged her.

Yes, it was a challenge; as Vida has interpreted Izzy's ramble. The thirty-something Chapters old woman had taken it up on herself to show the maiden what she could achieve without the henchmen.

It pained Vida to admit that Izzy was right, she needed to get things done fast for time was not on her side.

Vida smiled to herself as she reached the end of the hall and stopped to glance at the scene which surrounded her.

The palace halls had been decorated with white classy tiles and red velvet drapes which hung from the large, clear crystal windows, giving the room a dark sort of malicious glow.

"I have to get these people's interior designers when I begin to rule", she made a mental note to herself before pushing back the heavy, engraved, golden metal double doors that led to the main court.

Striding into the very spacious and large main court, Vida curtsied deep at the foot of the throne of the Royal family of Regalia, her black gown spread around her like the tail of a proud peacock.

"We don't want your kind here", a voice rang out from in front of her.

Fear gripped Vida, for she worried that things would not go as planned. She needed these people to believe whatever lie she was going to sell them.

She raised her head to meet the gaze of a young man. He stood in front of the King and Queen, arms positioned at his side, his fiery red hair matching the fire in his eyes as he stared at Vida with disgust.

Vida relaxed a little. After all, he wasn't the King, his opinion of her did not matter.

"Your Majesty", She began, directly addressing the King and paying no attention to the human shield in between her and the King, "I have travelled from far to bring you news of a threat to your kingdom"

"How do you know of this threat?", It was the young man that had spoken up

'Why don't you shut up and let me tell you?'
Vida scowled.

"Being a sorceress myself, I have tracked this beast for many chapters and have been unable to find it. It disguises itself as an innocent girl by day and turns into it's true form by night. It is imperative that this beast is found, so that it can stop attacking innocent lives", Vida explained, trying to sound as innocent as a lowered voice and big beautiful eyes could make her seem.

"How come I don't believe a word you are saying?", the young man said with an unfriendly face.

"Thomas, why don't you let her speak?", the queen, who was well into her old age touched him by the arm

"I just don't believe anything she says, it's all a load of bull-"

"Thomas!", the angry voice of the Old king vibrated through the room, echoes of his frustrated yell bouncing off the walls.

Thomas looked at his poor brother, who had started to heave heavy breaths, clutching his chest and trying to suppress his escalated coughing.

It was well know to every citizen of the kingdom of Regalia that their King, the great Ronald III, was sicker than a toad in the bogs. His fragile health was all the more reason why his younger brother Thomas, takes on all duties, so his brother wouldn't be stressed.

"Listen to her, for the peace of Regalia", Ronald managed to wheeze out, before rising from his throne and was escorted out of the main Court by his wife, the Queen.

Thomas sighed to calm himself down before turning back to Vida.

'For the peace of Regalia', he thought

"Now as I was saying, it is of utmost importance that you kill this beast before it begins to attack the good people of this kingdom. We wouldn't want tragedy to befall Regalia, now would we", Vida smirked before she turned around and walked to the doors that exited the room.

"The beast roars at Sunset, be sure to kill it before then", she added before walking out of the room and closing the doors behind her, gently.

Thomas was torn.

No matter what this woman had said, he still didn't believe her words.

He slumped into his brother's, the King's, throne and fingered the arms of the majestic furniture.

Soon he would have to take over the kingdom and make tougher decisions than this, normally he would need  to think about the situation and analyze different strategies to tackle the problem, but his brother had always taught him that when it came to the safety of his people, he should take immediate action.

On one hand, there was this Sorceress that appeared out of no where, telling them of a threat and on the other hand, there was the feeling in his bones that he couldn't quite shake off telling him it was all a lie.

Thomas abruptly stood up from the throne and straightened himself. He knew exactly what he had to do.

He had to protect his Kingdom from evil, whatever the cost.

"Guards,", he called out "bring me my sword. I'm going hunting"

"For the peace of Regalia", he assured himself.