Chapter Four- Without Accolade

Hastily necrosing apples cluttered the street, carelessly trodden on by travellers. The sun was beginning to doze off, yet the subtle buzz of rural life continued on.

In the middle of it all perched Kathy. Innocent, weary Kathy. She did not consider herself a brave person. Far from it, in fact. She avoided doing assignments until the night before they were expected. She delayed doing chores, because she knew they would be concluded eventually. She even refused to raise her hand in English Literature class, even when she was certain that the answer was correct, by dint of the measly possibility that it may be incorrect.

This time, however, Kathy was feeling brave.

She had just witnessed an abhorrent lady fragment the window of her favourite cafe, and Kathy would not stand for this, which is why she was currently chasing her with all the verve that she could muster. The woman darted between cars and people, desperately attempting to outwit Kathy, though the latter had the advantage. Kathy knew the promenade, unlike the blonde girl who was doubtlessly visiting. They doubled back and raced through Derby Road, before coming to a halt at the estuary. Stood ahead of the ria, her mouth twitched and she glowered at Kathy.

"What do you want?" She questioned bitterly.

"What do I want? You just smashed a window and you expect to get away with it scot-free?"

Instead of responding, the woman leapt at Kathy with absolute vility, and threw a punch at her. Kathy had never been in a fight before, as she could never understand why people resorted to violence to solve their problems. Nevertheless, she needed to defend herself. Kathy scarcely missed the fist, and struck the pelvis of the woman with her foot. At this point, the attention of the crowds had been convened, and she called for support.

Using the last of her caffeine energy, Kathy mobilised herself and left the scene. The more hefty characters could deal with the woman, while Kathy undertook the most helpful task of contacting police.

Kathy inwardly shut out any outside noise, and immediately seized her phone. She dialled 999 and was addressed by the iconic shrill voice asking which service she would like. Kathy asked for police, and informed the operator of the events and the location. Once she knew that they were on their way, there was nothing more that Kathy could do. Already struggling to compose herself, she began the long footslog back to her house. Kathy pictured the amount of time she would spend trudging through the kitsch streets; a change from the calm she would experience normally when Cula would be there to extricate her. She registered that it was technically her fault for pursuing a difficulty, though in her mind, it was worth it.

• • •

Kathy ultimately reached her house at the approximate time of 9 PM. Every room prompted irksome thoughts of the occurrences of the morning.

She wondered if it would ever go away.

On this one occasion, Kathy actually felt as though she was capable of sleeping, and as they say 'Every hero needs their sleep', except Kathy wasn't a hero. She did however like to think that some may draw inspiration from her after what she accomplished today.

Leaving her mind on that note, Kathy Kalloway III fell promptly asleep for the first time in w