Chapter 4

The cats stared at Boulder, eyes as wide as moons. Fawn's mouth dropped open. Moss'ѕ mouth was open too, as if she was wailing. Ivy seemed in shock, and she looked frozen, her paws planted on the soft moss.

Ember had his head bowed, and Minnow slowly nodded. Minnow didn't even seemed surprised. "So you finally made your mind up?" He sneered. Boulder nodded, his eyes narrowing.

He gazed around at the other cats, taking in the scene. Moss snapped out of her surprise and wailed, "But I'm expecting kits! I can't make the journey!" Fawn slowly closed her mouth, tail twitching.

"Your kits are not going to be born for a long time," she pointed out after a moment of hesitating. Ember suddenly looked up. "But is she fit for traveling?" He asked. Fawn spat and angrily said, "Of course she's fit to travel! I said her kits aren't ready to be born, didn't I?"

Ember nodded, surprise flicking across his eyes. Boulder knew Fawn could get angry when she wanted...but Fawn seemed really angry. As close friends, Boulder made a promise for himself that he would find out what was bothering her.

Boulder glanced at Ivy, and his heart sank. Ivy's eyes were narrowed, and her expression gave nothing away but fear and worry, mixed with determination.

Boulder relaxed. He didn't need to worry. Ivy was strong and loyal. She could take on any challenge. The entire time Boulder was thinking about Ivy, Ember was talking.

"...so does everyone agree we should leave?" He said, scanning room for disagreements. It was so quiet, Boulder thought he heard everyone holding heir breath, waiting for the next twist.

"Moss, you'll be ok, won't you?" Ember asked, but Fawn groaned. "Yes! She'll be fine!" She snapped for the 10th time that day. Moss glared at her through narrowed eyes, but said nothing.

"It's made up, then," Ember said, swallowing. "We will leave tomorrow morning. That means for the rest of the day, rest. And that includes all of you," he added, glancing at Fawn. She scolded at him, but kept her mouth shut.

"You are dismissed," Ember said, dipping his head and flicking his tail. He then padded over to Moss. Boulder waited until the cats broke up. Ivy and Minnow stalked off together to hunt. From the corner of his eye, Boulder saw Fawn sneaking out of the den to collect herbs.

"Fawn!" Boulder called. Fawn stopped in her tracks and bristled. She glanced over her shoulder, and when she saw Boulder she relaxed. She stopped and waited for Boulder to catch up with her.

Boulder slowed his pace to match hers as they pushed their way into the clearing. The dew that covered everything was gone. The air still smelled misty, like it was still morning. Boulder liked that feeling.

A wind blew across the clearing and smacked their faces. Fawn tipped her head to catch the breeze, then lowered it and fixed her gaze on Boulder. "You...wanted something?" She asked uneasily. Boulder nodded.

He took a deep breath and said, "Fawn I'm concerned about you. I mean, you just seem..." Boulder racked his brain for a word that would sound nice, but he just singled out angry. "Angry, to be exact." He finished with an awkward tone in his voice. He glanced at Fawn.

She was silent, not speaking one word. It was like that for a few heartbeats when she lifted her head and whispered, "I had a dream long before our house folk left...it was about our ancestors. My mother, Flight, came to me in a dream.

"She said great trouble would come to us. I asked her what I meant, but all she said was I would be left heartbroken. I didn't know what that meant..." Fawn sighed.

Boulder's head was whirling like a tornado. So Fawn had a dream before him. Interesting. But Shadow hadn't said anything about Fawn to be the first one to come...I wonder if other cats received their dreams before me? Boulder thought.

He asked, "I had a dream too...I think I was supposed to be the first one to get mine. Do you know about this?" He added when he saw Fawn's blank expression. She nodded.

"Flight told me, so I just waited till you find yours out." She said. Boulder flicked one ear and murmured, "What was your dream about? Shadow told me to follow this trail called..." "Skytrail," Fawn finished for him. "Flight told me, too.

"And my dream is too private," she said with a bitter tone. Boulder was thrown off guard. He looked at Fawn, surprised. "I mean, not in a hostile way...do you think you can help me find a solution to it?" Fawn spoke quickly.

"Uhh...didn't you just say your dream is too private?" Boulder said. Her was starting to get frustrated; the conversation was starting to go nowhere. "I did but I meant as in...the others," Fawn said quietly.

Boulder softened his tone and said, "I'll try but just a heads up, I'm terrible at predicting." He purred and and licked his chest fur. "Anyway, I'm glad we had to talk. And next time, promise me you'll talk to me? I don't like it when you're all mad and sad. Ok?" Boulder glanced at her.

Fawn purred and said, "Ok." Then she rolled her eyes when Ember bounded up and reported, "Moss's stomach is hurting. Do you have any herbs for that?"

Fawn groaned and said in an irritated voice, "I'll get some! Just stay out of my fur till I come back!" With that she flicked her tail and ducked behind a tree. The bushes rustled, then she was gone.

Ember glanced at Boulder. "What in a fox's heart is wrong with her?" He said shaking his head. "She's my sister, and I hate to see her like this. It just...doesn't feel right.

"I saw you talking to her. Is she alright?" Ember added, cocking his head. Boulder quickly glanced at the forest, in case Fawn had overheard. "Nope," he said too quickly. Ember stared at him, confusion dancing in his eyes.

"Uh, I mean...she's fine." Boulder stammered. Ember blinked. "Ok, then...thanks for telling me." Then he jerked his head in the direction of the killed pile. "When Ivy and Minnow come back, hunt for tonight, got it?" Boulder nodded. Ember walked away.

Left alone in the clearing, Boulder felt a twinge of emptiness. Funny, how he felt that way...Well, I might as well try and sleep if I have nothing to do, Boulder thought. But halfway across the clearing, his stomach growled. He switched courses and walked to the killed pile.

There was just a pitiful sparrow and a skinny mouse. Both of them didn't smell too great. Boulder wrinkled his nose and picked up the two pieces of prey. He buried them behind a berry bush a few feet away from camp.

His stomach was growling even worse then it had. Boulder glanced around and thought, Ivy and Minnow won't come back till a little bit later. I guess I can come just for myself...He padded behind an oak tree and peered around
it.

At once, he caught a blackbird. So many of those...he thought, but didn't complain. Prey was prey, and prey was food. He crouched down and stalked near the blackbird.

Boulder stopped a few feet away and waggled his hind-quarters. Finally satisfied with his position, he pounced. The blackbird screeched out a warning call but Boulder quickly cut it off. Without moving much, he started to rip into his prey.

He swiped his tongue over his jaws and trotted back to camp. Above his head, birds fluttered from branch to branch, singing to each other. Boulder shoved his way into the clearing.

It was just like how he left it. Not much activity, but a warm humming noise that seemed to fill the air. He paused and stretched his forepaws out in front of him. Tired, he headed to the main den.

Moss and curled up inside, asleep. She raised her head and blinked out the sleep in her eyes to see Boulder. Boulder flicked his tail across his sister and sat down beside her.

He gave his chest a few licks before tucking his forepaws underneath his chest. Yawning, he rested his head against Moss, who had fallen asleep. Eyes drooping, he sighed and fell fast asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wonder if I have to write my response on every page...have a wonderful cat-full day! :3 (And yes, I just did that >:3)

                                ~Buddymykitty~