FOUR

FOUR:

FOUR:

   THE TWO SAT on a rocking chair- Delilah on the armrest and Reggie in the actual seat. A golden glow rested upon the streets of Riverdale as the sun set. It was a typical summer evening; the sun was shining, birds were chirping, and a slight breeze blew across Riverdale. Reggie smiled as he watched Delilah's brown hair flutter across her face. He was lost in the moment, fully appreciating her beauty.

   "So you're moving in with your grandmother?" Delilah asked, breaking the peaceful silence.

   "Just for the summer. My parents are going on their 'second honeymoon'," Reggie explained, rolling his eyes. "So they left me here with Grandma Gertrude."

   "But you can just call me Gurt, darling." A small, raspy voice said from behind them. Reggie and Delilah turned around to see Gertrude wobbling out the front door with two lemonades in her hands. "Gertrude makes me sound older and more wrinkly then I actually am."

"But Grandma, you're literally 96." Reggie pointed out, Delilah letting out a huff of air.

"And you, son, are literally an asshole for calling out my real age." Gurt sassed back, giving a glass of lemonade to the brunette girl.

Reggie asked for the other glass but Gurt let out a laugh. "You can get your own glass of lemonade. Your 96 year old grandmother is too frail and weak."

After Gertrude left, Delilah let out a small laugh. Reggie chuckled a bit too, finding the small girl's laugh to be infectious. The laughter was seared into his memory; it's the little things that count.

   "I like your grandma."

   Reggie nodded, "I like her too." he cleared his throat. "I guess we're neighbors for the summer."

   "Oh, what a shame." Delilah said, placing a hand over her heart. "I'm sure you'll hate that."

"I don't know. You're pretty-"

"Sarcasm, Mantle. Sarcasm."

   "So when's the wedding?" Gurt asked, re entering with cookies. She set the cookies in Reggie's lap and looked at Delilah expectantly. "You two are bickering already. Reminds me of my late husband and I. We used to fight all the time before we got married. Hell, we fought after too."

   Reggie reached for a cookie, only to have his grandmother slap his hand away. He cleared his throat. "What?"

   "You heard me, boy. I like you two together." Gertrude explained as she rolled her eyes. "And don't you go 'what-ing' me after I talk about your late grandfather, son."

"Yes, grandma."

Gurt smirked victoriously as she realized she had won the battle. "I'm looking forward to seeing your relationship with my grandson bloom, Delilah."