Chapter 12: Conquering The Two Worlds

16th April, 2020

"Ibn Abbas narrated that: The Messenger of Allah said: 'The matron has more right to herself than her Wali, and the virgin is to give permission for herself, and her silence is her permission.'" Reference: Tirmidhi

Chapter 12:

Conquering The Two Worlds

The sun began its descent on the first and last pre-marriage outing Ahsan's family had planned for their son and soon-to-be daughter-in-law. Walking through the haphazardly placed dusty roads that adorned Old Inersaw Souq, the two families rejoiced in the evening atmosphere. As Asr time drew closer, they located the nearest masjid and began to make their way through the cheerful crowd, occasionally stopping by the shops.

Kareema admired a white ceramic bowl which had Arabic proverbs written all around it on the outside with royal blue ink. The antique shop was stuffed with every kind of palm-sized decoration pieces one could think of. There were camels made with clay and coated with bright colours, there were pots and vases in their miniature versions, there was lanterns the size of table lamps. Kareema even saw ropes which were covered artistically with broken pieces of mirror.

She used to think beauty was all about perfection, but now the shards of a broken mirror, the love behind crushed dreams and the hope behind cloudy storms taught her its true meaning. She found beauty in the imperfections of this world. Like the creak in the cemented ground where a new seedling erupts, like the trail of raindrops on her neighbour's window, like the first puff of smoke which rises from a campfire. She could look around, and soak herself in the abundance of blessings Allah Created for mankind, for it seemed to her that at every turn, she discovered a new treasure.

Or perhaps it was love that opened doors in her heart. To her, it was like a beautiful escape from the illusion of dunya, a feeling from the lands of Jannah. There was something about it that had unlocked all the fear in her heart, letting it soar through the days with glee akin to a child's enthusiasm.

It is true, the richness of halal love transcends all other feelings. She thought as she placed the bowl back on its shelf with a smile. Except perhaps the love I hold for you, my Lord. For without You, there is nothing.

"Your sister is about to cry." She heard Ahsan speak behind her.

"Why?" She asked, turning around to locate her sibling.

Noora was standing outside the store, almost hyperventilating. Brother Mustafa had his arm around her shoulders, muttering something to his distressed, pregnant wife.

"She thinks the clay camel is really cute, and doesn't want to say goodbye to it. And she's apparently too tired to walk further." Ahsan spoke, almost laughing.

"They're so cute." Kareema chuckled.

"Ma Shaa Allah." Ahsan spoke, agreeing.

Ahsan and Kareema's parents stood a few feet away, talking and laughing with each other in the same shop. The group had blended their differences out for the sake of their children, and Kareema thanked the Lord every second for it.

A few moments passed in amiable silence, for the two had little to say before their bond was made permanent and secure. The time passed in contentment, almost like their souls communicated better than words could convey.

"Have you thought about it?" Ahsan asked at last.

"I'm not going to tell them anything." Kareema spoke, throwing a glance at her parents.