Der Kalte Krieg

A little while later the organiser of the concert came up to us and told us we were being delayed for a few minutes. Great. That was just what we needed. More time for C64 to change its mind and refuse to work with us again. The AI had not only damaged our use of technology, but it was damaging the band too. It was time someone spoke the truth. In light of the recent government laws, Welle: Erdball was becoming, well... awkward. What was the point of it anymore if we didn't have a real C64 to play with? Say what you like, the new government had ripped out everything authentic about our precious computers, and replaced it with awful new spying technology. Someone had to say it. And yet no one else wanted to, so I guess that task fell to me.

"In light of this situation with the enforced AI, and the... uncooperative computers," I looked across at the C64 as I said this, "I... I'm not sure there is a future for Welle: Erdball."

Alf looked up from the newspaper he was reading.

"What?" Alf said, shocked, "What are you saying, Honey?"

"I'm just saying, if we can't sort out the issue with the government, maybe it's for the best that Welle: Erdball is... disbanded."

Shocked gasps from my fellow band members. I had expected as much.

"Disbanded?!" Venus said, "But... why?"

"Oh come on, you know why," I said, "Look at us! This isn't the same! Nothing is the same anymore! As sad as it is, I think maybe it's time we let this go."

Suddenly, we were interrupted as a man wearing a cowboy hat ran over to us. My band members were pleased, as it put an end to that awkward conversation. Not that it ended the issue.

"Hey there!" Plastique said.

"Howdy Welle: Erdball!" the man spoke to us in a low Southern drawl, "Please forgive the intrusion, the organiser said that you'd be here! Say, would you sign a few autographs for me?"

"Uh... sure..." I said as he handed us the photos to sign.

"Great! And good luck for the concert! You guys'll be great tonight, ya always are."

"Thanks," I smiled at him while we continued to sign autographs.

I mean, there was an awful lot of tension and rivalry between America and Europe, but that still didn't stop them from coming here. Maybe you might find that a little strange, that even on the brink of war, that people who were supposedly from an 'enemy' country would even consider traveling here to see us at all. But, people are people and, as I will keep reminding you, it's only ever the politicians who want war. What does the average Joe on the street have to gain from nuclear war? Nothing, that's what. Remember the Cold War? We do. Russians kept coming here even though the threat of war increased every day.

After a while we were advised to stop talking to our American fans by the powers that be, not that we gave that any notice. We'll talk to whoever we bloody well like, thank you very much.

"Sorry about, ya know, the Electrowave and all that," the American said.

"Hey, we know that's not your fault," Alf said. At that moment, our conversation was cut short as the organiser rushed back into the green room to tell us we were expected on stage in a few minutes. Excellent. We just hoped that C64 and Atari 500 would co-operate this time.