Apologies

When Gaston awoke, he found himself on a comfortable chair near a fire with clean clothes and his wounds tended to. He tried to move but groaned and grunted, still in pain. He turned and saw the dog seated at his feet, chewing on an old bit of leather. Gaston assumed that Agatha had helped him, since he had a sinking feeling Ada hated him and never wanted to see him again. But when he stopped his moving, he heard a soft voice from the next room singing some beautiful tune. Gaston stood with difficulty then hobbled over to the doorway of the next room, smiling faintly when he saw a small deer on the foot of the bed while Ada sat at the head, casting her magic into the air above the deer who was trying to catch it. The deer tumbled off the bed and Ada laughed her beautiful laugh, exciting Bailey who had just entered through Gaston's legs. She looked to the dog, then to him...her smile fading some. Ada looked at the animals once more before standing and walking over to him, checking the wraps and bandages she'd put over his injuries, but not looking him in the eye. No words were exchanged, but the heartbreak was evident in Gaston's features while hurt was evident in Ada's. But the silence killed him, he had so much to say...

"Thank you for saving my life...twice." Gaston finally said softly, trying to get her to look at him directly.

"It was the noble thing to do." Ada said slowly then quickly added, "Hunters' code."

"It seems your hunters were quite gentlemen...perhaps I could learn a thing or two from them." Gaston commented, hoping she'd look at him. Unfortunately, while she did look at him, it was a spiteful glare.

"I don't even think you understand what it means to be a gentleman, or a man!" Ada began to shake in hurt, and anger, but mostly hurt. "Did it ever occur to you that you yourself could have been killed for two murders? Some war hero. That's all it is with you, isn't it? War. Everything in a life is a challenge or something that has a prize." Gaston had the traces of a smile playing at the corners of his mouth as Ada went on. "I bet you never even loved Belle, she was just so beautiful that you needed to have her. I'll bet you don't even know what love is." Ada ended, biting the inside of her cheek until she bled to stop from crying again. Crying over a silly man...what a laugh that would be with the hunters.

"You're right." Gaston agreed in a soft voice to keep it from breaking. "I don't know what love is, the love I had was ripped from me before the war. And I've never had any since..." Ada looked at him again with a gentler expression, seeing a tear trail down his cheek. Despite her better judgement, she reached up and used the pad of her thumb to wipe the tear away, cupping his cheek after. She gave into her instincts, to her feelings and her heart, and moved her other hand to run a hand through his mane of dark hair, pulling him to her then wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. Gaston let out the breath he didn't even know he was holding and gave into her embrace, his arms wound tightly around her waist.

The door opened and Agatha entered, not in rags like she usually wore but in a simple navy dress. She gasped at the sight, "Oh, Ada, I didn't know we had a guest."

"Me neither," Ada smiled at her mum, loosening her hold on Gaston to look at her. Gaston straightened and turned to greet her as well, walking over and taking her hands in his,

"Agatha, I sincerely apologize for my behavior towards you in the tavern." Agatha smiled kindly at the broken man and gave him a nod,

"I accept your apology, Gaston, but I think she needs an apology more than I." Gaston looked at Ada who was watching the scene play out before her. He nodded at Agatha then went back over to Ada, taking her hands in his the way he did with her mother.

"Ada, I genuinely apologize for my behavior. I thought I was doing the right thing, protecting you from the poor excuse for a man I am. I was falling in love with you, and I didn't want to hurt you that way I had been hurt...but I suppose that didn't happen the way I would've liked." Gaston admitted sheepishly and Ada found herself blushing, while her mum covered her mouth with her hands to stop from smiling at the two.

"Fell in love with me?" Ada asked in disbelief, "Gaston...do you still?"

"As much as I can, yes," he answered then desperately added, "Is there any way I can make the whole ordeal up to you?" Ada smiled, already having an answer for him.

"There is one thing." Ada smiled again, almost devilishly up at the man. Gaston gave her a questioning look and a nervous smile. She tugged him closer by his collar and her lips crashed into his, surprising the man, but he caught on quickly and rested a hand on her waist while the other cupped her cheek. When Ada and Gaston pulled apart, she met his hazel eyes, "I love you, too." Gaston let out a laugh of sorts, disbelieving what he had heard, and smiled until more tears were visible in his eyes.

"I'll leave you kids be." Agatha smirked at her daughter who nudged her mum's hip as she walked past, earning a gasp from Agatha which Ada and Gaston laughed at.

"I can never thank you enough." Gaston finally said, taking her hand in his. "I truly don't deserve this."

"Don't forget it." Ada smirked at him and he laughed, bringing her into an embrace again while resting his chin on her head.