s e v e n

"Can you tell me what I did wrong?" Lance asked an hour later. They had skipped out on the fireworks show, instead stopping by a cart of cotton candy. It was a dye your own place, and his friends had been excited about it.

Pidge munched on her green treat, Hunk scarfing down a yellow one next to her. Lance had been too preoccupied to care, just snagging a blue one from the pre-made stash.

He'd wanted to know why Keith wasn't talking to him. It's not like he'd done anything wrong. He just kissed him. Keith had kissed Lance before without his permission, what was the difference? Keith brushed off the red sugar on his face, finishing his cone. "You didn't do anything wrong, Lance."

"Well, obviously I did!" Lance was exasperated, brushing his hair out of his face. "Otherwise we would be insulting and shoving each other! Now you're just giving me the cold shoulder."

Any other day, Keith would have smiled at his remark. Maybe even laughed. Now, he didn't even look at Lance. He tossed his empty cotton candy cone into the trash as the group walked by. Pidge and Hunk hung back, quietly observing the two.

"Keith," Lance whined, looking intently at his friend's face. Keith didn't look up, and Lance folded his hands behind his back. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong!" Keith exploded, whirling on Lance. The outburst actually caused Lance to stumble back in surprise, and he tried not to look as wounded as he felt. The walk to the parking lot was short, and they spent it in silence.

Keith slid onto his motorcycle, not bothering with his helmet as he cranked the gas. His vehicle hummed to life, and Hunk slid into the driver's seat of his van, Pidge racing to the other side and screaming "Shotgun!" before Lance could even open his mouth.

Lance glumly slid into the back seat, buckling his seatbelt in silence. He could feel Hunk and Pidge try to joke around in the front seat, but it almost seemed forced. Lance gazed out the window as Keith's motorcycle zoomed away. He didn't even give them a second glance.

"Man, you got it bad." Pidge's voice brought him back to the present, and Lance jerked back, glancing at his friend. "What?"

"If you tell him how you feel it'll totally get way easier to be his boyfriend." Hunk straightened the rearview mirror, shrugging his shoulders. "But I dunno. That might just be me."

"Tell who how I feel?" Lance wrinkled his nose, before shock hit him head on as Pidge and Hunk shared a knowing glance. "Keith? What are you talking about? I don't feel anything for him!"

"Lance," Pidge sighed, straightening her glasses. "Stop pretending. You're head over heels."

"He likes you back, if it makes you feel any better," Hunk rolled his eyes, laughing as Lance gasped. "What are you talking about? We're in a fake relationship! Did you miss that part, or were you just not paying attention?"

"Lance," Pidge sighed, but said nothing else, shaking her head and gazing out the window.

"Pidge," Lance mocked. Pidge said nothing from their spot in the front seat, only brushed her hand over her mouth to hide her smirk. They said nothing as they pulled into the parking lot of Lance and Keith's apartment building.

Keith was already off of his bike, and, to Lance's surprise, he was waiting for Lance when he got out of the van. Lance barely caught Hunk's over exaggerated wink as he exited, but Lance chose to ignore it.

Keith said nothing as they made their way towards the front of the building, passing through the front doors in silence. Lance waved to the Lobby Attendant, Coran, as they passed. Coran was known as the bubbly ginger with a mustache, and he lived up to that title, greeting Lance and Keith energetically as they passed.