Chapter 25

Back in the hallway, they could hear the soldiers' footsteps slapping on the tiles. Hunter closed the door as quietly as he could, and they all crouched in the little hallway. At their backs was an exit door. The library was the next room, but there was only one entrance, and that was from the main hallway.

"I saw them go in here, sir," a voice said.

They listened as the soldiers went into the classroom. Ross scurried forward and peeked around the corner.

"They're all in the classroom now," he whispered. "We have to go."

He peeked out again, then moved silently up the hallway.

The rest of them had no other choice than to follow. The soldiers were going to find Mr. Carson's body, and see the open door.

They made it into the library and pulled the door shut. It was one of those big, heavy doors, and it took forever for it to close, even with Hunter and Zane pulling on it.

Mike Snow, Rebecka, and Wilson huddled together while Ross moved forward, baseball bat at the ready.

"Do you really think Harmony or Tamiko is still in the school?" Rebecka asked when Zane joined them.

"They might have gone outside," Zane said. "But Tamiko doesn't have a weapon. She would have stayed in the school, I think. If Harmony stayed in the school, she might have been able to make it past Ricky, but Tammy would have gone this way. Neither of them would have gone down that way with the soldiers. I'm not sure if Harmony is chasing Tamiko, or if it's the other way around."

"Maybe Tamiko feels like she has to kill Harmony, for good this time. To somehow fix this zombie apocalypse she created," Wilson said.

Ross waved them over to a sitting area that was hidden by bookshelves. "Guys, come on. If the soldiers see you, we're screwed."

They walked to the chairs and collapsed. Every time he sat down, Zane's body reminded him that it was four in the morning and he had been wired on fear all night.

"What I don't understand," Zane said, "is how Harmony has been undead for four years and no one has noticed until now."

Everyone looked at each other. "I don't know," Rebecka said. "To me, it seemed like she was acting like she didn't care about being cool. And when she started hanging out with the druggies, we all figured it was the drugs."

"But she must have been infecting people this whole time. They said this zombie thing is spread through bodily fluids. So if she kissed somebody, she would have turned them, right?" Wilson asked. "I mean, Zane, have you... did you... kiss her?"

"Yeah," Zane said. "I mean, once she even bit me a little. But I'm fine."

No one was looking at him like he was fine.

"Shit, you're infected too!" Ross exclaimed.

"Guys, listen," Zane said. "I can't be the only guy she's ever kissed. Maybe it's just blood contact or something."

"What about Dylan or Tyler?" Rebecka pointed out.

"What about him? Harmony bit off part of his face, but he didn't turn right in front of us. That soldier killed him before he turned."

Rebecka considered this. "So you don't think the infection kills you... but if you die, from blood loss or something, you turn into a zombie?"