Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Lucile

2015

"I can't believe it." JJ gasps as she, Kim, and I sit in a room with other actresses.

"Really? I don't find it that implausible," Kim says and we look at her. She shrugs. "Honestly, it's what he was trained to do. They set it up so at performances he was the "bad boy". When you play a bad boy it's hard to stop yourself from being one. Especially when you're getting attention and love for it."

"Yeah but none of us have ever had such bad press before. We've been as clean as SJC. All of us." I whisper. The other actresses were trying to listen in on our conversation.

"He'll be fine. Uncle B talked to him with Wal. He'll shape up. Especially if Alexus won't want to be with him anymore." JJ says and we nod.

"Jackson Bivins," A lady comes out with a clipboard. She looks up when Jackson stands. Her eyes get wide with awe. "Y-you're up."

JJ walks into the room with a big smile for me and Kim. "She'll kill it." Kim whispers to me.

"Of course she will," I nod. "She's a Bivins. She has no choice but to kill."

"If we get this, everyone will think we got these roles because of who our parents are." My little sister says.

"Duh. Everything we've been given has been because of our parents. But we've taken the simple foundations and made careers from it. It's our talent and hard work that got us this chance to audition— not our parents." I say. We sit in silence for another ten minutes before JJ comes out of the room.

As apart of the first family of R&B, we were held at a certain standards that others weren't. My parents, aunts, and uncles are apart of two of the best-selling, longest standing music groups of all time— SJC and New Edition. They ruled (and still rule) the airways and Billboard charts for all of the '80s and most of the '90s. They're business moguls, producers, choreographers, managers, and real estate agents and a hundred other things. They broke my siblings, cousins, and I into the industry. We had to establish our own and have become as successful as them in our own right.

The name Lucy Tresvant is one that many people know. The group my sister, cousin, and I make— JKL— is highly regarded as we are the youngest Grammy winners in history and have been continuously Grammy-nominated along with our brother group BGT that consists of our brothers and cousins.

"Whitley Gavin," The lady calls. Within 30 minutes, Kim is called as JJ and I talk amongst ourselves and a few other girls. "Lucile Wallace-Tresvant, you're up."

"I'll tell you more about what I do to my hair when you get out, girl." The girl I was talking to, Alicia Jenkins, says with a smile. I nod with a big grin before walking into the room.

"Lucile Wallace-Tresvant. Known better as Lucy Tresvant. Apart of the girl group JKL— Mommy's and Daddy's little creation that has traveled the world." The director of the New Edition and SJC movie, Chris Robinson, greets me as I walk into the room.

"To be quite honest, I don't want you or your sister or your cousin auditioning. Sure, you're all very talented, but it's almost not a challenge for you. To portray your mother and aunts is like being yourself." The casting director, Robi Reed, says.

"You obviously don't know my mother and aunts then," I laugh. "These ladies are some of the hardest working and most talented women to ever step into the music industry. They have many different facets to them that even my siblings, my cousins, and I don't know. If anything, this will be the most challenging thing I do, portraying my family."