Chapter 18

Chapter 18
Luke

2016

"I have to go, baby." I smile as I pull away from Lucy's lips.

"No. Stay. They can wait another hour." She pulls me back to her in my bed back in L.A.

"LuLu," I let out a short chuckle. "Girl, I promised to meet your dad, brother, uncles, and cousins almost thirty minutes ago. I can't be anymore late. Plus they're blowing up my phone."

LuLu grabs my phone and puts it on Do Not Disturb. "Not blowing up anymore," She reaches for my face and pulls me close. "I'm more entertaining anyway."

"I do need male companionship." I give her one final kiss before she starts to pout.

"Fine," she sits back against the headboard. She crosses her arms and pouts. "Go ahead and leave."

"I'll be back later, baby girl," I pull on some clothes as I talk. "I don't like leaving you either— I miss you too much."

She continues to pout silently with her cute self. "I'll be back before you can even miss me. Then we can go out for something sweet."

She looks up with big eyes. "Promise?"

"I promise," I kiss her hand after grabbing my phone, wallet, and keys. "I hate when you're on your cycle. You become the biggest baby ever."

"But I'm your big baby." Lucy smiles.

"Yeah. My big baby." I smile back before leaving to meet up with the guys.

This was arranged so that I could have some guy thoughts on marriage and how to go about proposing to Lucy. It couldn't be something predictable or overdone. It had to be special. I have to take her by surprise. And it has to be slick because my LuLu would love something smooth. The guys closest to her would know what to do. Or at least they'll help me voice my thoughts.

I drive to Jacque and Mike's house where we're all meeting up. Several cars are parked outside when I arrive. Being almost an hour late, everyone was probably already eating and drinking and having a good time for this Guys' Day.

I knock on the door and wait for someone to open it. Q opens the door with a smile. "It's Luke!" He shouts over his shoulder and I hear the ribbing (or roasting as everyone else in the country says) beginning in the living room. "Come on in, man."

Q let's me in then closes the door. We walk into the living room that's full of an assortment of snacks and a variety of drinks.

"What the hell took you so long?" Woody asks, throwing a pillow my way. I catch it and throw it onto the sofa.

"I know there wasn't any traffic." Will says with a drink in hand. "But with yo bad drivin' ass, you probably made some."

They all laugh.

"He was," Elijah bangs his hand against the table, increasing the tempo quickly. "With Lucy."

"Aye," Ronnie snaps. "That's still our niece."

I just smile as I sit down next to Algee and Bryshere. "She's on her menstrual cycle and is being a big baby. She wouldn't let me leave."

"Oh God," Ralph shakes his head. "As much of a tough, strong-headed girl my princess Lucy is, she becomes the biggest baby on her period. I used to keep her locked in whatever room she was in with snacks and movies."

"Steph's the same way now." Johnny sighs.

"Mom is the worst. Then she does this quivering lip thing that makes you feel horrible. Like you have to do whatever she wants to stop the pain." Tre shivers. He takes a long sip of his nonalcoholic drink. He and Bobby have been refraining from liquor together.