Sparks | Chapter 4

The tension seemed to gradually die down until there was only calm and all seemed to be going well - for now. Everyone was fast asleep; apart from poor Jin. He was driving the silent van whilst his persistent eyelids kept trying to shut, despite his weakening refusal. However, the fatigue was now slowly creeping up towards him and it snaked its way around him, enveloping him in a blanket of exhaustion. Until he could no longer fight it and fell asleep. The car trundled on for a short while but his foot slipped off the accelerator and it came to a slow halt. 

So, here they were: in the middle of Seoul, during the early hours of dawn, alone, and vulnerable...

You see, sleep wasn't the only thing which had managed to sneakily catch up to them and now a bigger threat was approaching - gasoline. The humongous tanks containing the dangerously flammable liquid had suddenly burst during the night and now the substance had leaked for hundred of metres.

The liquid came fast and quicker than expected and it completely covered the roads with vibrant colours. It pooled in thin cracks and within minutes it was making contact with the back wheels of the van.

This is when everything goes wrong.

An innocent middle-aged woman steps out into her high balcony to strike a match and light her cigarette. Yet, as she does this, her finger simply slips and the lit match goes diving towards the liquid. The match makes contact within seconds and the roads begin to turn into a fiery pit, due to the fire quickly spreading. The woman loudly shrieks whilst staring down at the carnage she started - fear and guilt eating up her insides. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for the fire to reach the unsuspecting van and for it to begin dissolving the tires into its sly grasp. Whilst, deadly smoke starts to slither into the van through cracks and holes. 

Will they wake up before it's all too late?