Chapter 5 - Peppermint

***GABE***

We're about halfway to the next-nearest movie theater, I think, when Aditya finally stops in the middle of the sidewalk and blurts out, "Okay, this is really friggin' bugging me, guys. TJ, how the hell did they get into your head?"

Harris scratches his head and peers up at TJ with a sympathetic look on his face.

I step between TJ and Aditya. "Look, dude, if you don't wanna talk about it, that's okay."

"Yeah..." Fionna reaches out and takes his hand. "You don't gotta worry. It's not like you're the first one here to be possessed, somehow. You're among friends."

I look at the way she gazes up at him. I've only ever seen her look at Alex like that. Well, maybe Kensi, but those two have a way of being more affectionate in private than in public, I think. And maybe me too, back in the days when I was closeted and we were a short-lived couple. I wonder, maybe she's giving TJ the same kind of look because he reminds her of Alex, somehow? I can see a bit of a physical resemblance, maybe. And personality, too.

And I think TJ warms up to her because of this openness on her part. "Can we...can we go back to my place?" he asks. "Uh, well, it's the same building we all live in-"

"Not us," Yash says, gesturing to Aditya.

"Oh, sorry. Refrain from assuming, huh?" TJ pulls out of Fionna's grasp so he can facepalm.

"All right, let's go, then." I crane my neck until I spot our building somewhere in the distance. I think. There are two ten-story green buildings to our north, both in pretty close proximity. I think the more westerly one is ours, but until we get closer, I can't say for certain. If we could fly, that'd be better, but Fionna doesn't have her wingsuit. Harlan's taken it from her for "maintenance," or so he says.

Which now makes me wonder, how did she and Kensi still manage to beat me, Harris, and TJ to the theater? We didn't spend that long talking to TJ before taking off, did we?

When we get to our building after half an hour of walking (mostly in silence), we see Harlan and Annie rush out a door at the end of the hallway on the fifth floor. "Did they..." TJ scratches his head at the sight. "They were in my apartment!"

"There you are!" Harlan waves us over. "TJ, come here! We gotta check you out!"

TJ bristles. "Is he kidding? What's he gonna do, probe my brain?"

"Yeah," I mutter, knowing full well Harlan can hear all this. "How'd they even know to come here anyway? Nobody told them-"

Aditya clears his throat and waves his phone in the air.

TJ frowns down at him. In his thoughts, he grumbles, You little snitch.

"Dude, don't worry!" Harlan spreads his arms as he keeps on walking towards us. "We're not gonna do anything invasive! Not, uh, not without your permission..."

TJ crosses his arms. "I've already been invaded once today. Not again."

Annie pushes past Harlan and has him stand back so she can talk to TJ instead. "You do realize who did the invading and why, right?"

"Sort of." TJ scoffs and talks more to the wall than anything - or anyone - else. I'm not even sure he's actually talking instead of thinking, but I can still see his jaw move a bit from this sort-of side view from behind. "The Peppermint Corporation? But...but I thought a lot of their top people got arrested after-"

"Yeah," I chime in. "Alicia Wahlberg? And...and Penner? I thought you guys had 'em locked up. Or am I wrong?"

Annie glares at Harlan. "You said you were gonna tell them!"