6|| Hazel

"You're JOKING," Fred Weasley exclaimed loudly. The tension since Moody's arrival broke, and everyone started laughing, a pent-up sound that sent a wave of amusement and excitement through the Great Hall.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore said after chuckling appreciatively. "Though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent joke over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all got into a bar..."

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly.

"Er-- but maybe this is not the time... no..." Dumbledore said. "Where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament... well, some of you will not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for giving a short explanation and allow their attention to wander freely."

Hazel leaned closer to the High Table, eager to hear more about this tournament that had sent ripples of whispers through the hall.

"The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the tournament once every five years, and it was generally agreed to be a most excellent way of extablishing ties between yojng witches and wizards of different nationalities-- that is, until the death toll mounted so high that the tournament was discontinued."

"Death toll?" Hannah Abbott asked in alarm.

"There have been several attempts over the centuries to reinstate the tournament," Dumbledore continued. "None of which has been very successful.. However, our own Departments of International Magical Cooperation and Magical Games and Sports have decided the time is ripe for another attempt. We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that this time, no champion will find himself or herself in mortal danger.

"The heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their shortlisted contenders in October, and the selection of the three champions will take place at Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons personal prize money."

That certainly disrupted another bout of whispering. Hazel turned to Frank, an unspoken message passed between them. Frank shrugged.

"Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts," Dumbledore spoke again. "The heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry, have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age-- that is to say, seventeen years or older-- will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration. This--" Dumbledore raised his voice over the outrage of several students, including the Weasley twins, "--is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the tournament tasks will still be difficult and dangerous, whatever precautions we take, and it is highly unlikely that the students below sixth and seventh year will be able to cope with them> I will personally be ensuring that no underage students hoodwinks our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts champion." His twinkling eyes flickered over to the Gryffindor table, and presumably, Fred and George Weasley.

"The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October and remaining with us for the greater part of this year. I know that you will all extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us, and will give your whole-hearted support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected. Now, as it is late and important to be awake for lessons tomorrow-- off to bed! Chop chop!"

Hazel started at the sudden end of the Triwizard Tournament speech and hastily shoved the rest of a muffin in her mouth. Crumbs sprayed everywhere.

"What d'you think?" Frank asked Hazel.

"About what?" Hazel asked through a mouthful of muffin.

"The tournament," Frank said. "Sounds interesting, don't you think?"

Hazel shrugged as they made their way down to the kitchen area. "I suppose," she said doubtfully. "But if there was a death toll before, there will probably be a death toll later on too. But aside from that, it sounds fun. I'd try if I could."

Frank nodded. "Me too," he said. "But we're not of age. Still have three more years to go."

>>>•Nico POV•<<<

"So what d'you think?" Thalia asked, unaware she was echoing Frank's words from across the Great Hall. "think we should try it?"

"A few drops of ageing potion should do it," George said confidently. "We turn seventeen this summer. Shouldn't be too much of a gap."

"It takes your age then?" Annabeth thought carefully, her mouth twisting into a small smirk. She leaned closer to Thalia. "We could get in without the potion. I mean, Hecate just altered our appearances and sent us back in time-- she didn't do anything about our actual age, right?"

Thalia shot her a wicked grin. "Now you're thinking, Annie," she said.

Jason shook his head. "Never have I ever thought I would see the day when Annabeth is thinking of ways to break the rules in a life-and-death situation."

Annabeth glanced at Fred and George. "You're rubbing off on me," she accused. George shrugged.

"It happens to everyone who spends too much time with us. Right, Fred?"

"Right." Fred rolled his eyes. "Except for Perce."

"Percy's got enough rule-breaking-ness in his blood," Nico said. "He doesn't need to spend time with you to get it."

"They were talking about Percy Weasley, Death Breath." Thalia rolled her eyes.

"The Triwizard cup though." Ron looked forward dreamily and accidentally let his foot fall in a gap in the staircase. "You reckon it's worth it?" He asked as Harry and Percy bent down to help him up.

"I think not," Hermione said sharply. "Again with the death toll? And I know I've said this before, but Ronald, you really don't' have the athleticism to do a tournament with gods knows what."

Again, another short one, sorry I was really busy with stuff and I'm kind of sick so I didn't really have an imagination

so i'm getting pretty positive results on Nico and unless everyone suddenly hates on him, I'm sticking with him