03

CHAPTER THREE
A TOUCH OF EVIL
PART ONE
∘∘∘

SLOANE WALKS INTO SCHOOL WITH HER USUAL NEUTRALITY. It would fool anyone who doesn't know her—which is everyone. She is shaken over the fact that Jason was murdered and that she may have seen it.

People stare more than they did yesterday. Now, they have a good reason. They wonder if, maybe, Sloane killed Jason. She can feel their eyes trying to peel back her layers, scrutinizing her behavior. They don't see much past the blank look on her face, though. She looks like she normally does. The dress is floral today.

She sees Jason's locker on the way to her own. Sloane tries not to look at the stuffed animals and flowers people have placed there. Archie Andrews is staring at the memorial too, until Jughead catches his attention. She locks eyes with them both as she passes by on her way to Biology.

Sloane walks into class thirty seconds after the bell, just in time to hear the Biology teacher tell everyone to pair up for a lab.

She sits down at her usual lab table, not surprised to find no one jumping at the chance to be her partner. Sloane settles on the seat, deciding to look out the window and wait for further instructions as she slips on hideous rubber gloves. They clash with her outfit.

Archie slides in with Cheryl, probably sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Betty and Veronica are paired together, unsurprisingly. Kevin and Moose—

Sloane is interrupted from her thoughts as someone occupies the space next to her. Her head whips around and stares in confusion and slight annoyance at Jughead.

"Morning, sunshine." He comments, slipping on the rubber gloves.

"Why are you sitting with me?" Sloane inquires, not rudely but certainly not kindly.

"Well, I considered my options. There's working with you or with Cheryl's robots. I'm hoping I made the wiser decision after our . . . interesting conversation at Pop's."

Sloane eyes him as he begins to dissect the frog. She catches Archie glancing towards them before quickly shifting his eyes. "Are you sure you want to be associated with the newfound outcast and possible murderer Sloane Sullivan?"

Jughead snorts. "Please. I'm already an outcast. Plus, if you were the murderer, I think they would have already found evidence proving it. You don't seem careful enough to cover your tracks."

Sloane cocks an eyebrow. "Clearly you don't know me very well."

Jughead shrugs. "You're right." He writes something down on his sheet. "But then again, no one really does. Do they?"

"What is this about? Do you want information for your novel? Or do you just like prying into people's business?"

He meets her eyes. She can see curiosity painted all over his face. "Do you like being a gorgon all the time? Or are you just too afraid to let people in?"

Sloane sneers at him and turns to face the front of the room. Jughead takes his victory with a grain of salt and gets back to work.

It is ten o'clock and Sloane is in the woods.