08

CHAPTER EIGHT
FASTER, PUSSYCATS! KILL! KILL!
+
IN A LONELY PLACE
PART ONE
∘∘∘

SLOANE AVOIDS BETTY AND JUGHEAD AT ALL COSTS. Archie and Veronica watch her throughout the day. Though they stop when she gives them the meanest glare she can muster—which is chilling, to say the least.

Classes blur together and she's tired as all hell. Everyone seems to be wrapped up in their own drama. Sloane overheard Veronica talking about her mom and Archie's dad making out. Betty and Jughead heeded her advice and are going to talk to Polly. Archie just has his music drama.

Sloane sits alone in the student lounge and avoids everyone around her.

She shows up late to school. Her hair is pulled back in what might possibly be the messiest ponytail in the history of ponytails. She's wearing bunny slippers. They fit well with the dark circles under her eyes and her skin that's paler than usual.

When Sloane slams the door open, about half of the hallway stops and looks at her. They quickly turn away when she glares. She walks quickly between the students and ends up behind Archie and Jughead in the middle of a conversation. They don't see her and they're blocking her way.

"Remember before how you said you didn't want Betty knowing where you're living?" Archie asks the brooding boy. Sloane's ears perk with interest. "Is that because you and Betty . . . " Archie trails off, uncertain how to continue.

"We may have had a moment . . . " Jughead says awkwardly.

"It's totally cool, I get it. No worries. I was just curious," Archie stammers, clearly affected by it.

"Instead of discussing where Jughead slips his dick, maybe you should move out of my way so I can get to class on time," Sloane snaps, pushing between the boys. They jump away from her, startled by her disheveled appearance. "What the fuck are you staring at?"

"Are you okay?" Jughead asks warily. Archie looks at her with the same concern.

"I'm fantastic. Why?"

"You look like you just crawled out of a tornado," Jughead says bluntly.

"Aren't you just charming," Sloane sneers. "While we're having a lovely conversation, I've got shit to do." She turns and continues down the hall. She doesn't see the boys stare after her before giving each other a worried look.

Sloane jolts when her phone vibrates in her pocket. It's a text from Cheryl. She tries to be discreet while pulling her phone out in algebra.

Update: Polly killed Jason. Keep an eye out.

C x

Sloane rolls her eyes. Cheryl latched onto theories too quickly. Polly loved Jason. She never would have killed him.

She slips her phone back in her pocket just before it vibrates again. Sloane growls and pulls it back out, seeing it's another text from Cheryl.

We're pulling together a search party for Polly. You in?

C x

Sloane grits her teeth. Not interested, she wants to say. Take your stupid grudge elsewhere. Plus your parents are dirt rags.

Sorry, I have homework. I'll join the next one.

She replies immediately.

Very funny.

C x

Sloane sighs.

Has anyone ever told you that your text signature is annoying?

Cheryl doesn't reply. Sloane smirks.

Sloane leans against the counter in her mother's bookstore, flipping through a book about self acceptance. Love yourself, you're perfect, yada yada yada.

The bell dings when the door opens. Sloane looks up as a short brunette with pink in her hair walks through the door. She has dark skin, brown eyes, and the unmistakable Serpent jacket.

Sloane's jaw drops as she looks at the beautiful girl, who beams when she sees Sloane.

"Hey, I was wondering if you guys have any specific books on, uh," she takes a breath, "bisexuality."

Sloane blinks. "Um, yeah. Follow me." She leads the girl over to the shelf marked with bisexual, pansexual, and polysexual. "We have them with pansexual and polysexual books, but they aren't the same, even though they're similar." Sloane explains. "Let's see," she searches the books, "we have Getting Bi, Claiming the B in LGBT, Bi Any Other Name, The Bisexual's Guide to the Universe—"

"That one sounds interesting," the girl muses. Sloane hands the book to her and nearly jumps when their fingers brush. The girl meets Sloane's eyes. "Have you read it?"

"Me?" Sloane sputters. "Uh, no. I haven't."

The girl hums, looking her over before holding out her hand. "I'm Toni, by the way."

Sloane takes it. "Sloane." A pause follows and Sloane quickly releases Toni's hand when she realizes she's been shaking it too long. "Let's, um, check you out—I mean—ring you up—"

Toni giggles at Sloane's stuttering and follows her to the counter. She scans the book and slips it into a bag. "That'll be 14.97."

Toni gives her the money and Sloane is careful to avoid skin to skin contact this time. Sloane retrieves the change and hands it and the bag to Toni, who deliberately seems to brush her hand. Sloane can feel the flush in her cheeks and tries to ignore it.

Toni backs up towards the door. "I'll see you around, Sloane." Then she winks and disappears through the door.

Sloane releases a breath she didn't know she was holding and slumps against the counter.

Walking home from the store after closing up, Sloane still feels a giddy energy in her bones. She's never reacted to a girl like that before.

Well, actually—

She stops. Betty and Jughead are kissing further up the sidewalk before Betty smiles and says something to him. She continues forward and into her house. Jughead turns around, a small smile on his face.

Sloane clenches her jaw when he looks up and their eyes meet. Her jacket hood shades her eyes from the moon and street lights but she knows he can see her.

The smile slides away. It irritates her.

He approaches her with caution, as if she's a wild animal. "Heading home?" He inquires.

She gives a slow nod, unblinking as she stares up at him. "Yep."

"Did you, um—"

"See you and blondie sucking face? Not at all," Sloane smirks. Jughead isn't impressed. "What, am I not allowed to make jokes?"

Jughead chuckles a little. "You're fine with it?"

She raises a brow. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I dunno."

"Okay . . . " She gives him a weird look. "Well, I need to get home. I'll see you later." She goes to walk past him but he gently grasps her arm. Her eyes snap to his.

"Are we . . . good?" He asks quietly.

Sloane purses her lips. "For now."

And on that, she turns and struts away.

wow this is trash i'm sorry

also!! sloane will be going through a bit of self discovery in this version!