11

CHAPTER ELEVEN
TO RIVERDALE AND BACK AGAIN
∘∘∘

HOMECOMING. A NIGHTMARE IN THE MAKING.

Little does Sloane know, it's going to get way worse than just dancing.

School the day before the dance was filled with excitement, from just about everybody but Sloane. Sure, she loves to dance and have a good time. But when no one wants to go with you, it can become a bit of a problem.

Her mother surprises her with a present on her bed that morning. Opening the white garment bag, Sloane finds a mass of dark green, silk fabric inside.

Sloane's family color is that dark Slytherin green. A way of Nancy saying that she may not be the ferocious Blossom to threaten you into doing what she wants, but she will get her way. She isn't the lion—she's the serpent.

When it comes to elegant fashion, Sloane is a bit more reserved. Sure, she'll wear a body con dress to a high school party. But when it comes to events like homecoming or a funeral, Sloane likes to keep her class.

The dress is the epitome of class. The silky fabric slides smoothly through Sloane's fingers as she lifts it out of the bag. It has long sleeves, a deep neckline, and a slit up the long skirt. It looks like something a queen would wear.

Helping Betty decorate for homecoming was one way to bury her stress. Sloane usually likes being alone but ever since her cousin's death and that nightmare, she can't stand it. Her thoughts run wild and it drives her out of her mind.

When Jughead appears with a box for Betty, smiling like a lunatic, her stomach twists. They haven't spoken since Jughead's birthday party, when he came back inside and took a crying Betty into his arms. He'd given her an unreadable look before taking his girlfriend to Pop's.

Sloane doesn't remember much of what happened after the party, just that she'd stepped outside and made eye contact with Jughead's dad, who had given her a meaningful look (one that she doesn't understand) before driving off. Sloane has since come to the conclusion that the Jones' family has exceptionally expressive eyes.

She turns away from Jughead and Betty just as he looks in her direction, up on a ladder, hanging up tulle. She curses to herself when she spots him, boxless, headed her way.

"'Sup, Hemingway?" She calls down to him, hoping to God that her shorts aren't offering him any inappropriate sights.

"Hey, uh," He pauses and she glances down at him. He seems conflicted. "Do you have time to talk? About your dream?"

She raises an eyebrow at him. "You sure?"

"Definitely. Maybe we can figure out what really happened that morning." Sloane sighs and starts climbing down the ladder.

"Yeah. A little clarity would be nice," She sighs and lowers her voice as her feet hit the floor. "Do you wanna know anything specific?"

"Start from the beginning." He says as they walk over to a secluded corner of the gym.

Sloane crosses her arms and looks off over Jughead's shoulder. "I remember walking through the woods, after Jason was on the other side. I—I saw someone grab him. It was a Serpent." Jughead inhales sharply but nods for her to continue. "I couldn't see his face. I screamed and I started running, but . . . " she licks her lips, "another Serpent appeared, said 'sorry sweetheart, you did this to yourself', and tried to grab me. I tried to get away but he caught me and—" she looks up at Jughead, "—he started strangling me. The Serpent that grabbed Jason came and stopped him from killing me."