Chapter 2: No Feeling

A MONTH LATER, Izumi and Kiba started dating, and Kiba came home with Izumi after school almost everyday. He almost visited her more than Neji did. When they announced their relationship to their friends, it surprised them, but they were supportive. Even Neji tried to be happy for the two.

One day, on a Saturday in late September, Neji decided to visit his best friend to see how she was. He wasn't surprised to see that Kiba was there, but what surprised him was what the two lovebirds were doing when he walked in. He quickly covered his eyes with his hands as soon as he noticed that Izumi was lying on her back on the sofa with Kiba hovering over her.

"Please, for Kami's sake, tell me you two are fully clothed!" Neji huffed as he shut the wooden door behind him, his eyes still covered. "Relax, Neji," said Izumi with a giggle. "Yes, we're clothed." Neji let out a relieved sigh. "I just wanted to check on Izumi, so I guess I'll be out of your way now," he said before waving goodbye and walking out.

"I'm such a fool," he muttered to himself as he walked towards his house alone. "I should've known that Kiba was there. He's been over there a lot lately. I also should've known that they were in there being all lovey dovey or whatever." Neji suddenly felt a sharp pang in his heart.

Little did he know, Izumi and Kiba weren't being lovey dovey at all.

*Flashback*

"Hey, Izumi! I got the popcorn! Ready to watch the movie?" called out Kiba from the kitchen. "Yeah! Now get over here!" Izumi said with a chuckle as she continued petting Akamaru.

When Kiba walked into the living room and towards the couch, Akamaru was way too excited about eating all the popcorn. Once Kiba was right in front of Izumi, Akamaru pushed Kiba over so that he could get the popcorn from his hands. Kiba ended up landing on top of Izumi, who was lying down on her back.

Yeah, things got a little awkward after that. Kiba blushed, Izumi blushed, and then Neji walked in. Yep, it was very romantic.

*Flashback end*

It was all Akamaru's fault.

When Neji walked into his home, the only person standing there to greet him was Hinata

When Neji walked into his home, the only person standing there to greet him was Hinata. "Nii-san! You're back! How is Izumi-chan?" she said with a warm smile. Neji then felt that same pang from earlier in his heart. "She's fine," he mumbled, not bothering to look his cousin in the eyes. Hinata frowned. "T-There's something bothering you. I c-can see it in your eyes," she said before rushing over to comfort him. However, before she could throw her arms around him and pull her cousin into a comforting hug, Neji walked away to his room without a word.

'What is this feeling?' Neji thought as he slammed the door shut behind him and collapsed onto his bed. 'There is no feeling. I'm just her best friend, and that's all I'll ever be.'

Neji wanted to get some rest to forget what happened, but just as he started dozing off, Hinata came bursting through the door. Neji was startled, and he sat up and stared at her with curiosity. "Hinata, what is it?"

Hinata was almost to worn out to speak, but she managed to stutter a few words. "I-I want to be here for you, nii-san," she said, panting heavily in between each word. Neji rolled his eyes and looked down at the ground. "I'm fine, Hinata." He wasn't. "Neji," he heard her whisper when she finally caught her breath. He looked up at her.

"Please," she whispered, her expression showing compassion as she looked at him with serious eyes, "let me help you."

"Please, let me help you

"Please, let me help you."