Chapter Nineteen

They arrived in Baromund a day and a half later.

Like it had been a shock to feel warm weather, it was also a shock to see a city teeming with life. Children darted in and out of the traffic on the street as they played, shouting and laughing. People were everywhere—walking, riding horses. No one stopped to stare at the three dirty strangers among them. It reminded Seraiah of how Ratha used to be before the fever had stolen so many.

Kai led them through the maze of streets, choosing a small inn sandwiched between a millinery and a cobbler.

"I will do the talking this time," he told them. "And remember to keep your head down." He directed this last bit at Seraiah.

She didn't think she had a particularly memorable face. If anything, Kai was the one who stood out the most of the three of them, but she did as he said.

As soon as they dismounted, a young boy approached them. He looked to be around Sterling's age. "A copper to stable your horses," the boy said, looking at Kai and ignoring her and Kestrel.

Kai grunted and dropped a copper into his eager hand.

The boy grinned and tucked the coin into his pocket, waiting for them to remove their belongings before leading their mounts away.

Seraiah watched as he disappeared around the side of the building, presumably to where the stables were located. She could detect the faint odor of manure mixed in with the smells of the city.

"Come on," Kestrel called, "or you'll be left behind."

Inside, Kai spoke with the innkeeper and paid for two rooms while she hung back with Kestrel. Seraiah caught the flash of silver as he pulled out another coin and placed it on the counter in front of the innkeeper.

"We were never here," he murmured, his voice so low Seraiah could barely hear him, even though she was standing directly behind him.

The innkeeper nodded, sliding the coin off the counter and into his pocket.

Kai herded them upstairs where they found their rooms next door to each other. Seraiah counted four other doors along the hallway. If those rooms were occupied, she couldn't tell.

Kestrel unlocked the first room and pushed the door open to reveal a straw mattress on the floor and a small washbasin in the corner.

"I can't wait to go home," she grumbled, stepping into the room with Seraiah on her heels.

Kai disappeared briefly into the second room before returning, catching Kestrel poking the mattress with her toe. "There are no fleas, if that's what you are afraid of. The innkeeper swore his rooms are the cleanest in the area."

Kestrel stared dubiously at the offending mattress. "I'm not sure I believe that."

Seraiah silently agreed with her. This was not much of a step up from sleeping outside on the ground. Then again, she didn't have money to pay for anything else, so she couldn't complain.

"It doesn't matter," Kai said, "with any luck we won't be here long."

Kestrel snorted. "I think we may have already used all of our luck."

He ignored her. "We will start our search now. And you," he looked at Seraiah, "will wait here."

She opened her mouth to protest, but he cut her off before she could get a word out.

"No arguments. If there are mages lurking in this city, it will be dangerous for you to be out. We can't risk it."

"They will sense her here just as well as if she were outside," Kestrel said. "She'd be safer with us than left alone, given her lack of skills."