Chapter Fifty

Kai hadn't lied when he'd told Seraiah he needed at least a few days to plan. He'd merely left out that he might need an additional few days after that. To keep her distracted and out of harm's way, he'd enlisted Kestrel's assistance. Now the only thing left to do was inform Seraiah.

He might not be able to help her master her visions, but he could at least give her the skills to protect herself.

"You summoned me, Your Highness?" she asked as she seated herself on the opposite side of his desk. It was only yesterday that she'd woken from her vision, but she already appeared back to normal, if the guarded look she was giving him was any indication.

"You don't have to call me that, you know."

Seraiah folded her arms over her chest and stared at him.

Kai suppressed a sigh. This was already going well. Perhaps he should have had Kestrel deliver the news instead.

"I have arranged for you to receive training from Kestrel in all manner of fighting styles," he said.

Seraiah tilted her head, a flair of interest lighting her eyes. "Why? You think we will have to fight our way in?"

"It is a possibility, and I thought it best you were prepared."

A brow rose. "And you think I can learn to fight in a handful of days?"

She had him there. She wouldn't be able to learn in a few days, but he didn't intend to leave in a few days either. There were other pressing matters he needed to attend to. Kai glanced at the cream-colored envelope sitting on the corner of his desk.

"I'll do it, of course," Seraiah said, "but I don't want you to get your hopes up. You recall Kestrel has already tried to teach me once, and you decided I would be better suited to act as bait."

"All the more reason for you to practice."

"I thought you would want me to spend my time practicing my visions instead."

"Seraiah—" He meant to apologize, but she cut him off.

"Although, I suppose I've already served that purpose." She stood. "Was there anything else you needed from me?"

There were a dozen things he needed from her, but none that he could say. Virelai's words still stuck with him.

Don't blame me when you lose your crown—and then your head.

It was better this way, he decided. No need to allow the target on his back to extend to her.

"No, that was all."

She dipped a curtsy. "Your Highness," she murmured. And then she was gone.

It was for the best, he told himself again. If he said it enough times, he might start to believe it.

Kai picked up the envelope and tapped it against his desk. Gavaran's summons had asked—no, more like demanded—a council meeting be held immediately to discuss the findings on the search for their Queen. With Seraiah indisposed, Kai had put Gavaran off for a few days, but the new meeting was to be held this afternoon.

Kestrel would be in attendance, but he had been able to get Seraiah out of it since none of the council members knew about the vision. They assumed, like he had, that Kestrel had done the negotiations. She would be able to keep her mouth shut and not let anything slip about what they'd learned, but Kai didn't trust Seraiah to be able to do the same. She wasn't prepared to deal with Gavaran, and might let something slip if he got under her skin. Kai had no intention of telling Gavaran or any of the others what they had truly learned thanks to the vision the Summer King had provided.