Chapter one: Employment

It was just another day in the busy city of New York. Four men just working in an average everyday firehouse capturing ghosts and taking samples of different slime, molds, spores and fungus. The four men's names were Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Ray Stantz, and Peter Venkman. Together they work to free New York City from the Paranormal and the Supernatural spooks haunting the city. One particular morning, Egon noticed that the containment unit, where they kept the ghosts locked away, had some unusual spikes of psychokinetic energy emitting from it. He started scanning it with his PKE meter for these unusual spikes of energy. Suddenly, as if on cue, Ray came downstairs to see how the containment unit was doing. "Ray? Come take a look at this," said Egon. Ray walked over to Egon and said curiously "What is it Egon?" Ray took one look at the scans on the PKE and was surprised at how many energy spikes were being picked up on the PKE meter. "Wow! This is incredible," said Ray, "This is great! We can actually use this to prove to the public that we are in fact REAL!!!" "Well, don't get too overexcited Ray. You're very good at that and remember what happened last time?" said Egon. Ray nodded in agreement and embarrassment, "I do indeed Dr. Spengler. I remember it well." As Ray and Egon exchanged looks of silliness, Egon smiled that charming smile of his and continued recording the spikes on the PKE meter completely engrossed in the activity. Suddenly, Ray and Egon heard loud footsteps and familiar laughter coming from upstairs. Suddenly a booming voice rang out saying "What's up my familia?" It was Peter Venkman. Ray sighed and with an annoyed voice said, "How's it goin' Pete?" Peter laughed in a very cheerful voice and said "Great, just great, know why?" "No, we don't know why Peter, why is life just going so great for you?" said Egon clearly annoyed. "Well," Venkman said clapping and smiling, "I asked her out and she said.......YES!!" Winston came running downstairs just in time to hear the news. "Hey, hey, hey, what's all the commotion about Peter getting asked to be-" he stopped as  Ray, and Peter stared at him smiling. "Looks like Pete here is gonna be a married man," said Ray full of excitement. Overjoyed by the news Ray, Peter, and Winston all celebrated while Egon rolled his eyes and walked upstairs to get away from the commotion. 

Janine saw the gloomy look on Egon's face and decided to calmly walk up to him for comfort. "Egon, you okay?" He didn't say anything, but by the look on his face could definitely tell how he was feeling. "I-I'm fine Janine. Why don't you go back to filing your nails. I'll just be upstairs for a while." As he walked upstairs, Janine walked back to her desk feeling sorrow for Egon. Only she knew how he really felt since he was the only single member of the staff. "I hope he finds that special someone, someday," she said glumly. Then she answered her morning call, "Ghostbusters how may I help you?"

Meanwhile Egon was upstairs writing down his discoveries in his black leather journal listening to cars drive by on the busy streets. Egon had been in a previous relationship that ended horribly. During his prom year him and a  girl named Stacy went to prom together. As they were dancing, Egon asked her if she'd be his girlfriend. Stacy threw a fit of rage at him saying that she already had a boyfriend and that she'd never be with him because he was too "nerdy" for her liking. Egon grew emotionally depressed and never made contact with Stacy ever again. Instead he decided to start his business with his longtime best friend Ray Stantz as a Ghostbuster and he's been invested in his studies ever since then.

Janine started walking upstairs after finishing her call. She started walking into Egon's room to tell him some news. Egon sighed and said sadly "What do you want Janine?" Janine looked at him with a big smile on her face "I think you'll be meeting someone very special soon."