3

Mr Cunningham directed me to an Italian restaurant in the college district

Mr Cunningham directed me to an Italian restaurant in the college district. We are seated immediately and a waiter comes over to take our order.

"We will have a bottle of the Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon, I will have the mushroom risotto and the lady will have the fettuccine carbonara" Mr Cunningham's voice is commanding as he orders for both of us. Um no thank you. I can order for myself.

"Ah no the lady will have the gnocchi and a glass of mineral water" I say calmly to the waiter. The waiter who looks terrified of Mr Cunningham's reaction looks back at him for instruction but Mr Cunningham is staring at me.

"You don't like wine?"

"On the contrary but a work lunch is no place for a two thousand dollar bottle of wine" I say holding his gaze. His eyes flick to the waiter.

"Make that two glasses of mineral water"

"Yes sir" the waiter say before scurrying away.

My phone buzzes on the table but ignore it. Probably best to be polite to my boss after insulting his choice of wine.

"Do you need to check that?" He asks and I look at the screen of my iPhone and see four message from my brother.

"No, it is just Bas"

"Your brother?" Mr Cunningham clarifies and I nod. "What does he do?"

"Medical school. He is studying at Harvard."

"Prestigious" he says nodding his approval.

The waiter brings our meals and places them in front of us along with two glass of mineral water. I take a sip of mine and Mr Cunningham's eyes watch my every move. I look away from him trying to catch my breath. You are playing into his hands Honey. No men!

"Your brother and Brooke they called you Honey" he states although it feels like a question.

"Yes. Everyone has called me Honey for as long as I can remember. Hardly anyone calls me Genevieve and I myself never really liked my given name"

"I like it" he says quickly. I feel myself blushing argh! What is with me?

We eat in silence occasionally catching each other gaze. I notice that he doesn't smile much and when he does it doesn't reach his eyes only the corners of his lips tug up. When we are finished we hop in my car and drive back to the tower. We walk in silence back to our floor. He stops at big oak double doors.
"If you need anything Miss Reynolds please don't hesitate to ask. My door is always open for you" he says smoothly.