02

➸ c a l u m

I spent a few hours getting ready for the study date with Riley. Was it even a study date? I'd like to think of it as one.

Boys usually didn't do this shit, but I was determined to make a good impression and prove to her that I had changed. I wasn't the asshole 15 year old that I was before. I had showered and changed and restyled my mohawk, all for a girl. A very special girl.

Truth is, Riley meant a lot to me, much more than she'd ever know. I spent the past three years watching her from afar, but I was too scared to approach her. I thought she would reject me and maybe even give me a good slap across the face--she had a strong arm. I figured that this project would be the perfect opportunity to win her back.

I don't even know why I spread that damn rumor in the first place. I guess I was jealous that Luke and the others were capturing her attention. I was scared of being replaced, and now Luke had taken my spot.

I had developed a little crush on Riley which soon sprouted into a large one. Everything about her was absolutely perfect. I loved the way her strawberry blonde hair cascaded down her back and her bright blue eyes captivated you. Or when her entire body shook when she laughed and her lips formed a pout when she was upset. And when her eyes crinkled when she smiled and when she rolled her eyes and smirked when something was annoying her.

I wouldn't change a thing about Riley Marie Herman.

The only problem was that she kind of hated my guts, which is why I devised a plan to get her to like me again.

I would start with apologizing about the rumor and explaining why I started it, even though I knew my explanation wouldn't really be clear in the first place. Then, assuming she would accept my apology, I would ask to be friends. Somewhere along the line, I would ask her on a date, and maybe, just maybe, she'd forgive me and give me a chance.

And, under some circumstances, I'd skip right to the kiss and hope I win her over with my charm and amazing kissing skills.

I heard my mother and Riley talking downstairs, and I quickly checked myself in the mirror before Mom called me down. I took a deep breath and headed down the stairs, eager to see Ry again.

When I first laid eyes on her, the first thing I noticed was that she looked beautiful; literally breathtaking. Her hair was straightened and it fell down to the middle of her stomach. She but her lip nervously, staring me up and down as well.

"Hey Ry," I spoke up, a smirk evident on my face. "Come on, let's go upstairs. I think you know the way." Riley mumbled something about me being arrogant and followed me up the stairs and into my room. I shut the door behind me and looked at her carefully.

I could feel her eyes traveling around the room, taking in everything about the room she hadn't stepped foot in in so long. I plopped down on my bed and she stayed by the door, hesitant to walk in further.

"Riley," I sighed. "I don't bite, I promise."

She shook her head and closed her eyes, looking down at the hardwood floor. "Why?" was the only thing she croaked out and I instantly understood what she was talking about.

"Hey," I whispered, getting up and coming closer to her. She shrunk back immediately, and that small action was enough to shatter my heart into small sharp fragments.

I tried to pull her into a hug, in which she stepped backwards, hitting the door while mumbling, "Don't touch me."

"Please, Ry. You have to hear me out. You have to understand why," I pleaded, my voice threatening to crack.